Fake eggs

RebelEgger

Free Ranging
May 10, 2020
Chester, Nova Scotia
My Coop
My Coop
Hey guys, our girls are 18 week old EE and not yet laying. I currently have a couple golf balls in each of our 2 nest boxes. Has anyone who used golf balls found they are a good enough fake egg or do you think I should get some actual fake eggs? Which do hens seem to prefer? Maybe their wondering where their tiny golf clubs are?!

Golf balls worked for my first timers, and they were the first in the coop to lay ( ISA Browns @17 weeks ). The very first one was laid while roosting so I opened the nesting boxes up and put in straw and 1 white golf ball. They haven't laid an egg anywhere else since.

My EE are 16 weeks this week but I read they probably won't lay until 20 or more weeks.

Golf balls worked for my first timers, and they were the first in the coop to lay ( ISA Browns @17 weeks ). The very first one was laid while roosting so I opened the nesting boxes up and put in straw and 1 white golf ball. They haven't laid an egg anywhere else since.

My EE are 16 weeks this week but I read they probably won't lay until 20 or more weeks.
Yes I read 20-24 weeks for the EE's. I'm not so much concerned with when - I know it will happen when they are ready, just wanted to give them the best clue's to where! lol ...I do wish they'd hurry up though. This is our first batch of chickens and I am anxiously awaiting for the first one.

I had to keep my nesting boxes covered up before the ISA's started laying. All the EE were sleeping on top of them and I didn't want them going in and soiling them before the older gals started laying. Now I have a slope on top of the nesting boxes and everyone is sleeping on the roosts finally.

I had to keep my nesting boxes covered up before the ISA's started laying. All the EE were sleeping on top of them and I didn't want them going in and soiling them before the older gals started laying. Now I have a slope on top of the nesting boxes and everyone is sleeping on the roosts finally.
Mine have been roosting since about 9 weeks old I think, I opened the nest boxes up around 15 weeks and no one has shown any interest in sleeping in them thank goodness.

My EE are 4 weeks behind the ISA browns. We had adopted a free cockerel from someone with too many.. and he is a HUGE speckled sussex. He and the ISAs were the only ones hanging out on the roost at first. I'm sure the EE were afraid of him back then. Now, though, they are rivalling the ISAs in size and more confident.

Back
Top Bottom