Fake Eggs

Leah and peeps

Songster
13 Years
Jun 28, 2009
Canada
Hi everyone,

So, i know that a lot of people put fake eggs or golfballs in there nest boxes to encourage and get your chickens to lay in the box.
My question is what age should you put in the fake? I was just worried if you put it in to early they would go into the nest box and start to peck it and possibly when they do start to lay, they would peck/eat their own eggs.??
hu.gif

Thanks!

Last edited:
Most hens are not egg peckers, so try not to worry.

I use fake eggs in a number of places where my wayward free-rangers lay to encourage them to go back to that place,

Sandie

My OP is that the wooden eggs that I use "discourage" them from egg eating. Once they hurt their beaks pecking at the fake egg they may figure all eggs are hard and will hurt their beaks. I keep the wooden eggs in the the nest 24/7.

Nest boxes should be small enough so they can't hang out and walk around. Also they should be dark inside. Hens like their privacy.

Don't wait to put the fake eggs in the nest boxes. If you use plastic Easter Eggs, fill them with sand and glue them shut, so they are at least as heavy as a real egg. Otherwise the pullets will just kick 'em around like soccer balls and maybe even peck them open. You do NOT want that to happen.

Back
Top Bottom