Fake grass question...

mom2jedi

Songster
11 Years
Aug 12, 2008
San Diego, CA
Hi all, I'm not planning to use it in the coop/run (that will be dirt/sand/gravel) but DH and I were talking about what we'd like to do in the backyard of whatever house we buy. In the interest of saving water (major concern here) and not having to run irrigation lines I suggested the fake stuff for the section we're planning for lawn. I know it was talked about briefly in another post and I was wondering if I could get some other opinions about it. He thought it might be bad for them when we let them out to free range, which will only be supervised and not for too long.

I suppose my real question is should I go ahead with real grass so there's no risk of them ingesting it and for the bugs as well?

You're probly better off planting a native grass, or putting woodchips in the area. The fake grass is just wierd to me. I think if you want to save water planting a bunch of native plants in the are would be best but if you want the area for "a
flat play area" or what ever woodchips might be best.

I cannot imagine having fake grass and chickens pooping on it. The amount of cleaning that would take would cancel out any water conservation in my mind.

I agree with Anny - you are far better off planting native grasses and other plants to retain what water you use and act as a barrier.

i'll third the fake grass nix. native grasses and ground-cover or a dry substrate as a garden base will be a much better, more natural, more "green" option.

Thanks everyone, I hadn't thought about the poop factor! We have a big dog so I was prepared for some rinsing but it didn't occur to me how much rinsing would be involved with chickens!

Fake grass and artificial turf. Are they the same?

I have been reading where high schools are wanting to put in AT and it's supposed to be full of lead and it can hold bacteria too.

Last edited:
Quote:
I think they are the same. The stuff I'm referring to looks and feels like grass and they use it at places like golf courses, Sea World, etc. I hadn't heard about the lead or bacteria issues.

A friend of mine had the fake grass put in her back yard, she doesn't have chickens - only dogs. But she loves it, and says it looks totally real!

Back
Top Bottom