Falcon attack aftermath: little interest in food, acting dazed and slow

darlingdarla

Songster
Oct 28, 2018
Laurel, Maryland
A falcon attacked my flock on Saterday, it scratched up two of my five year old easter egger hens, it didn't seem serious, both had superficial cuts on their combs and faces and I couldn't find any injuries on their bodies, but one of the hens is acting very wrong now.
I went out today to feed them and this hen is eating very little food , she seems interested in the food and pecks at it a little bit before walking away, almost like she physically can't eat. I tried to give her a wet mash which she seemed more interested in, so I mixed in some treats and locked her in the coop with her own food and water. I mixed nutridrench in with her water, and left her alone. When I left she was pecking at the wet mash and seemed to be eager to eat.
She isn't fighting with me like she usually does, she let's me pick her up for the most part, she'll act like she wants to run away but overall her reactions seem very slow.
She is also holding her beak slightly open, there are no breathing problems I can hear, it's like she can't close it.

I know internal damages are common in arial predator attacks, but I am really hoping she's still just shaken up.
What else can I do? I've looked her all over for other injuries, I haven't found any but I am going to look her over again after she eats.

Here is the link to the other thread I started about the attack -
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/was-it-a-falcon.1340626/#post-21967701

All help and advice is truly appreciated

"Shaken up" equals shock in chickens. They can die from it when they haven't got any serious injuries. Treat with sugar water plus electrolytes.
I think you're doing the right things and agree with @azygous on the sugar water and electrolytes. I lost a hen last year to shock after an eagle attack. (She wasn't even the one attacked.) Hoping for the best with your girl.
Okay thank you both, I put sugar and electrolytes in her water, I'm leaving her be for a while.

I would also give her abdomen a quick look - does she have ascities going on? It's not just caused by internal laying and other reproductive issues. If organs start to fail (from the stress of the attack) fluid can build up which makes it more difficult to breathe. How is her comb color?

Also do check her underside for wounds or warm swellings (other than ascities) especially around the underside of the thighs- where it can be a lot harder to spot an injury. With an eye towards making sure she's not getting more stressed for being handled. It's possible she got poked with a talon or the beak and the infection is just now taking off. Chickens will do everything they can not to act sick- until they just can't any more.

I would also give her abdomen a quick look - does she have ascities going on? It's not just caused by internal laying and other reproductive issues. If organs start to fail (from the stress of the attack) fluid can build up which makes it more difficult to breathe. How is her comb color?

Also do check her underside for wounds or warm swellings (other than ascities) especially around the underside of the thighs- where it can be a lot harder to spot an injury. With an eye towards making sure she's not getting more stressed for being handled. It's possible she got poked with a talon or the beak and the infection is just now taking off. Chickens will do everything they can not to act sick- until they just can't any more.
Her abdomen isn't swollen as far as I can tell.
Her comb is bright, somewhere between red and pink.
I looked her over today, I felt all over her abdomen and her keel and around her thighs, under her wings etc. I couldn't find any wounds or hot or swollen spots.

She came out with the rest of the flock today, she didn't eat any feed as far as I can tell, I fed her a raw egg. They love raw eggs so I figured if she'd eat anything it would be that, she ate very slow, and she left some egg at the bottom of the bowl.
I made her another wet mash, it seems easier for her to eat sloppy food but just like yesterday she pecked at it and gave up.
It's like she dosen't want to open her beak, she won't take treats or solid food.
Her crop has something in it today, but it's completely liquid I couldn't feel any solid foods.
When I lock them in the run she sits in the corner, but she will come out and walk around if I open the doors.
I don't know what else to do, I could separate her, maybe bring her inside, but I think she'd just get more stressed.

When I lost Rosy, there were no injuries. It was just shock. She also wouldn't eat, only drink a little water. Since I lost her, I cannot say what is the right thing to do. But, if I had it to do over again, I would have been hand feeding her and giving her lots of vitamins and electrolytes. The sadness still gets to me. I was so preoccupied with Ethel, who was attacked. I lost them both. :hit Man! I can't believe how attached we can get to these little birds.

When I lost Rosy, there were no injuries. It was just shock. She also wouldn't eat, only drink a little water. Since I lost her, I cannot say what is the right thing to do. But, if I had it to do over again, I would have been hand feeding her and giving her lots of vitamins and electrolytes. The sadness still gets to me. I was so preoccupied with Ethel, who was attacked. I lost them both. :hit Man! I can't believe how attached we can get to these little birds.
I'm sorry about your birds, I've had this one for three years, she is a part of my original flock of five, thinking about losing her is really upsetting me, everything else my flock has gone through I've been able to treat, but with this it's like I'm waiting around for her to die or get better.
I've thought about force feeding her some mash, but I don't think that would be good for her nerves.
It's supposed to get cold tomorrow, should I bring her in and set her up in the house?

I'm sorry about your birds, I've had this one for three years, she is a part of my original flock of five, thinking about losing her is really upsetting me, everything else my flock has gone through I've been able to treat, but with this it's like I'm waiting around for her to die or get better.
I've thought about force feeding her some mash, but I don't think that would be good for her nerves.
It's supposed to get cold tomorrow, should I bring her in and set her up in the house?
I would. I would keep her in a warm and quiet place for a few days, actually. I would also spend a lot of time encouraging her to eat. I think you're already trying different things to get her to eat. Just keep trying. Did you say you are giving her Nutri-Drench? I really hope she pulls through!!! Rosy and Ethel were part of my original flock too. They were about 4 years old. I also lost Shirley outright from the attack, and she was part of that flock too. the only one I have left of my originals is Lucy, and she was the head chicken until that day. Now she is subdued and usually off on her own. I wish I had been the kind of chicken owner to sit and hold my chickens because I know she could use a good cuddle, but since I don't do that, she would just be scared. It has been 6 months and she is healthy. She stopped laying shortly after the attack too.

Well, who says chickens don't have feelings or emotions???

Back
Top Bottom