Falconry

I've just recently been looking into falconry. Prob one of the coolest things out there. I think it's cool how masters can have golden eagles now. Makes me want to start this hobby even more! Any body have any tips of how big the pens should be for outside? I imagine it has to be at least 50x50

Back in the day, in my later grade school years, I read a book on Falconry and was hooked. I read about every book on the raptors I could get my hands on. Being young and living out in the boondocks- a friend and I went out and trapped our own birds. Redtailed and red shoulder hawks and we both were able to trap a wild pair of them each. I was not sure of the sexes but they were both young flyers. Of course acting before thinking as a 6th grader often does, neither of us were quite sure how we were going to feed them. We ended up bartering labor for organ meats from the local animal farmers ( my next door neighbors). We even made our own leather gear but once my parents found out what I was doing, I was forced to let them go. In the three weeks I had the birds, their wild was never close to being tamed- The hoods stayed on most of the time as I was still healing from the capture days. Looking back I can see now what a mistake it was to do it this way, but I love watching these birds fly- Turns out I was a far better trapper than I was a falconer so I will leave this noble pursuit to those with tougher skin than I. I think I can still see some of the scars those birds left me with!
Good Luck with your certificate and have fun flying your bird.

Back
Top Bottom