Fall/Autumn Poultry PHOTO Contest! Halloween Hatch-a-Long 2016 w/ Hosts, Mike, Sally & BantyChooks

I took these photos yesterday. My slate blue tom, named Jack, is my LOVE! I adore my chickens. When I got my turkeys? It was like having feathered dogs! Needless to say they won't be on the table this Thanksgiving, unless they want to eat WITH us of course. ♡♡♡

I am SO glad to see/hear this, because... I just got turkeys!

Just make sure and spend LOTS of time with them. Mine lived in the house until they were 3 months. Oh my gosh, you just WON'T believe it!!! I'm obsessed. I was getting dressed, looked up and one of my white palm hens was looking at me through my skylight!!! Couldn't get to my phone fast enough to get a picture.

Just make sure and spend LOTS of time with them. Mine lived in the house until they were 3 months. Oh my gosh, you just WON'T believe it!!! I'm obsessed. I was getting dressed, looked up and one of my white palm hens was looking at me through my skylight!!! Couldn't get to my phone fast enough to get a picture.
[/URL]

I've been going in there, and picking them each up for a few minutes at a time, like 5-8x a day. I pet them all over their bodies. They are so different than chicks. They get picked up and just relax and some of them even fall asleep, unlike the baby chicks that panic and fling themselves all over the place.

I'm going to be moving them into a dog crate in a week or so. I need my brooder box back for the ducks and new hatchlings I have coming out of the incubator.

(The room is kept pretty warm, and it's texas, its like 75-80 at night and between 80-100 during the daytime still.)

If I kept them in the house in a dog crate, for 2-3 months, suggestions on how to keep them entertained? What kind of pen do you have for them? I'm still trying to decide if I want to give them free-range of my yard with my great Pyr. She's not a bird killer.

But, she is still a puppy, so I watch her pretty closely when we go out with the birds together to make sure she never "screws up."

she catches wild birds, bunnies, mice, rats... but leaves our goats, birds and barn cats alone.

I even have her around tiny, baby birds in the house.

(she was checking out some red sex linkeds in the tub, while my cochin hatchling Star, rode her butt. The white one is our silkie Rexi, these two are house chickens.)

So far, she's been great with our birds. It's nice to see your turkey's playing with your rottweiler. LOL Sugar isn't big on playing with the birds, she takes her "babysitting" very seriously though.

I took these photos yesterday. My slate blue tom, named Jack, is my LOVE! I adore my chickens. When I got my turkeys? It was like having feathered dogs! Needless to say they won't be on the table this Thanksgiving, unless they want to eat WITH us of course. ♡♡♡

Love the middle one!

How sweet!!!! I put a mirror up on the outside of their home and that seemed to be the only entertainment they needed. I broke up the occasional fight, but they did really well. We had recess too, once a day I'd get home from work and we had playtime outside of it. Went through quite a bit of carpet spot cleaner. :/ I still keep a good eye on our dog. I caught him pinning a guinea hen down one time and we had a real quick "come to Jesus" for that one... that's the way they are wired, so it's hard to blame them too much. I so get it! Odin "herds" the birds.. I have 20 total 14 chickens (1 Roo)/2 guineas/4 turkeys
it's just my own private petting zoo... 2nd childhood at 45♡

My chickens& guineas live separately in one coop (2 different coops contained in the barn) with exterior access to an enclosed separate run area from the turkeys but they free range together, only when we are home and can monitor them. We live in the woods but the dog does safety checks regularly. He's amazing and is very proud to have a job! :)

Neither my Tom turkey Jack, nor Cyrus, my roo, have their tender egos threatened with their separate stomping grounds with their women.. lol although my tiny banty mix roo although a 1/5 th of the size of Jack, could kick his booty... ha ha

Back
Top Bottom