Fall brooding? Story and questions

Pics
Well, sometime during the afternoon of day 2, the surviving baby disappeared. Mama had seemed to be taking good care of it and I was checking often. Then there was a commotion, I ran out, and broody was off the nest, baby nowhere to be seen. I searched for clues to no avail.

I really believe in letting broody raise chicks in the flock, and mama wasn't going to have it any other way, but I suspect those greedy pushy leghorn pullets, the way they were nosing around the area. The two older hens had been sent out to free range, so they’re off the hook. Maybe it was a snake. Oh well, I just don’t know. She was too young and inexperienced, I am too old and inexperienced. I candled the remaining egg, it hadn’t developed and I tossed it. Mama returned to nest, looked around and around, and then it was as if she just woke up from a dream…..and she went out in run and joined the flock. And that’s all I can say….

Sometimes that happens with first time moms. Spot, May She Rest in Peace, lost both of her chicks. And now we've lost her. Cotton Ball lost 3 of her 4. She tried. Sometimes it takes some time for a hen to get the hang of it. Maybe next Spring she'll try again. I'm sorry for the loss of her chicks. Let her know she has sympathies from me and my hens, as do you.

Sometimes that happens with first time moms. Spot, May She Rest in Peace, lost both of her chicks. And now we've lost her. Cotton Ball lost 3 of her 4. She tried. Sometimes it takes some time for a hen to get the hang of it. Maybe next Spring she'll try again. I'm sorry for the loss of her chicks. Let her know she has sympathies from me and my hens, as do you.
Well I don't think I want to let her try again. Sebrights are fierce, but she's a bantam among large fowl and that may always be a problem. She wasn't going to accept being separated from the flock. She beat herself against the fence when I tried. I have 2 older hens, 18 months, an SS and a BR, who have never been broody, but if they did, I'm thinking they'd be better candidates as they are top of the pecking order. But, again, they'd be first time moms as well.
I was surprised that the Sebright took one look at her empty nest and she just snapped out of it, no more broodiness. She has been out with the flock ever since, as if nothing ever happened. I was assuming I'd have to use the broody buster.
moonshine after.png

Back
Top Bottom