Fall Chicken Garden

I'm glad someone posted this question. I hadn't thought of doing a fall/winter garden, and now I will as my chickens would love to keep getting produce past summer! Thanks for the ideas. I love this site!

I'll second the swiss chard. It grew fast enough all winter long to outgrow the damage caused by my chickens feeding on it. I'll be planting a lot of that this fall. From all the ringing endorsements, I'll be looking for Kale seeds too!
big_smile.png

Thank you for the link, Mak! I am definitely going to get some. It looks perfect!

Thank you for all the veggie suggestions! Those of you who planted kale, and Swiss Chard did you plant the seeds and just let it come up unprotected or did you fence it off and then let them at it when it got big?

Did you know that kale is high in Omega 3's? I saw an article recently that said that to get olive oil on the omega-3 scale (at a 2), kale is ranked as a 1000. I'm sure that things like salmon are about 10,000 on that scale but it's impressive that kale is so high. Tis a good thing to feed to the chicks!

Quote:
You're welcome! It's growing well for me and the chickens seem to love it. I'm also going to let the fall greens I plant just sit there under the hoop houses for as long as they last, and feed those to the flock for some fresh greens. Carrots, also, as they will last well into the fall/early winter.

Back
Top Bottom