Fall integration

GemW

Chirping
May 17, 2023
Nebraska
I was planning on getting some new chicks to add to my existing flock in the spring. I impulsively and stupidly set a small clutch of eggs to hatch and got only 1 to hatch. So then I ended up getting that one some pals, and now I have 4 chicks that I will need to integrate into the coop.

First of all, I am worried about my current hens accepting these ones, but the other worry is how do I get them ready to be feathered enough for winter? I live in Nebraska, our weather is bipolar so I have no idea how cold winter will be, but I know it will be too chilly to move them out with nothing if I move them early-ish. If I keep them inside longer, I'll be moving them out in December, which sounds awful too. And I definately can't keep them inside until March.

My thoughts are that I would move them to the coop as soon as everyone is fully feathered, in an enclosure within the coop, with a brooder plate. I feel like I need to get them outside as soon as I can so that they can grow all their feathers for winter, and hopefully at the same time start the integration with the big ladies. And then doing some monitored free range time together before moving to monitored run time together. Does that sound like it would work? Or any other tips for integrating when it's gonna be cold?

I was planning on getting some new chicks to add to my existing flock in the spring. I impulsively and stupidly set a small clutch of eggs to hatch and got only 1 to hatch. So then I ended up getting that one some pals, and now I have 4 chicks that I will need to integrate into the coop.

First of all, I am worried about my current hens accepting these ones, but the other worry is how do I get them ready to be feathered enough for winter? I live in Nebraska, our weather is bipolar so I have no idea how cold winter will be, but I know it will be too chilly to move them out with nothing if I move them early-ish. If I keep them inside longer, I'll be moving them out in December, which sounds awful too. And I definately can't keep them inside until March.

My thoughts are that I would move them to the coop as soon as everyone is fully feathered, in an enclosure within the coop, with a brooder plate. I feel like I need to get them outside as soon as I can so that they can grow all their feathers for winter, and hopefully at the same time start the integration with the big ladies. And then doing some monitored free range time together before moving to monitored run time together. Does that sound like it would work? Or any other tips for integrating when it's gonna be cold?
What breed are they and how old are they now?

Could you put a wooden box in the coop with your brooder plate (we used a cozy coop) but then the issue is they need starter/grower feed and water if you can get a small feeder and waterer for them that can fit inside the box so the big ones don't get it. That way when they feel gutsy, they can come out and venture around, but run right back in if they are getting pecked on.

And it wasn't stupid, it was impulsive lol. We live and learn. This is my first year of finally figuring it out. We're in WI so we have similar issues.

What breed are they and how old are they now?

Could you put a wooden box in the coop with your brooder plate (we used a cozy coop) but then the issue is they need starter/grower feed and water if you can get a small feeder and waterer for them that can fit inside the box so the big ones don't get it. That way when they feel gutsy, they can come out and venture around, but run right back in if they are getting pecked on.

And it wasn't stupid, it was impulsive lol. We live and learn. This is my first year of finally figuring it out. We're in WI so we have similar issues.
I was thinking about using a dog crate, and leaving it closed so they can see each other but not be directly mingled. Then the issue would be that the door is big enough for the big girls to get in if they really want to...

I was thinking about using a dog crate, and leaving it closed so they can see each other but not be directly mingled. Then the issue would be that the door is big enough for the big girls to get in if they really want to...
You can make it smaller by duct-taping a board or a towel or cloth across the top to shorten the opening so the older ones can't get in, but they can get out. At two weeks though, I don't think I'd let them get out as if one steps too far away and an older one gets to it, one peck could kill it.

They are around 2 weeks old. I have one orpington, 2 wyandottes and 1 speckled sussex. Temps between 85-90.
I guess I misunderstood but I thought you said it was cold? Or is it that it's going to get cold soon?

With your current temps I'd start the integration process immediately, and take advantage of the warm temperatures to get them integrated ASAP. They do not need much feathering to be outside in warmer temperatures (really they won't need heat during the day at all, at 2 weeks), they just need dry, draft free shelter and the option of heat.

I believe in early integration (my goal is integrated by 4 weeks old) but you do need to set up for it. My article on early integration (skip past the first half which is brooder set up): https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/short-on-time-recycle-a-prefab-brooder.73985/

You can make it smaller by duct-taping a board or a towel or cloth across the top to shorten the opening so the older ones can't get in, but they can get out. At two weeks though, I don't think I'd let them get out as if one steps too far away and an older one gets to it, one peck could kill it.
It depends on the flock and set up and the integration approach, but my 2 week olds have open access to the entire coop and run with the adults. They are brooded outdoors from the start however, so the first 2 weeks also serve as the see but no touch period.

If using a dog crate as the see but no touch area, then bird netting stretched taut and secured well, or hardware cloth, again well secured, around the sides, should be enough to keep chicks in, but protected from adults reaching in.

I guess I misunderstood but I thought you said it was cold? Or is it that it's going to get cold soon?

With your current temps I'd start the integration process immediately, and take advantage of the warm temperatures to get them integrated ASAP. They do not need much feathering to be outside in warmer temperatures (really they won't need heat during the day at all, at 2 weeks), they just need dry, draft free shelter and the option of heat.

I believe in early integration (my goal is integrated by 4 weeks old) but you do need to set up for it. My article on early integration (skip past the first half which is brooder set up): https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/short-on-time-recycle-a-prefab-brooder.73985/

It depends on the flock and set up and the integration approach, but my 2 week olds have open access to the entire coop and run with the adults. They are brooded outdoors from the start however, so the first 2 weeks also serve as the see but no touch period.

If using a dog crate as the see but no touch area, then bird netting stretched taut and secured well, or hardware cloth, again well secured, around the sides, should be enough to keep chicks in, but protected from adults reaching in.
I love your article, and this is ingenious: Week 3 (Plan B!): I took some chicken wire* and made a 16 sq ft mini run around the brooder, so the chicks had outdoor space that effectively doubled the safe space they had access to. The chicken wire could be elevated using the brooder door and some bricks, allowing the chicks to venture into the larger run if they preferred, while still having a safe haven.

I love your article, and this is ingenious: Week 3 (Plan B!): I took some chicken wire* and made a 16 sq ft mini run around the brooder, so the chicks had outdoor space that effectively doubled the safe space they had access to. The chicken wire could be elevated using the brooder door and some bricks, allowing the chicks to venture into the larger run if they preferred, while still having a safe haven.
Since it didn't include the asterisk part:
* Use chicken wire with caution - chicks can get their heads stuck in the openings. Also note that even little chicks can easily hop/fly out of an enclosure like this, so cover it with something (a lightweight netting works), if you do not want them leaving the enclosure.

I had 1 chick fly out 2nd time I integrated, before I raised it on bricks, but because the chicks had already been interacting with the adults the previous day and allowed to explore the run for a few days beyond that, she knew where other safe spots were until I did a spot check and saw she'd gotten out. I haven't had any chicks get stuck because they're not trying to get through the chicken wire (not to escape, and more importantly, not to get back in)

Back
Top Bottom