Fall Quilt Block Swap due October 15th

Kassaundra we love pictures!!! I use pins and iron as flat as I can get it and your cutting your dog ears and your nesting your seams when you put your blocks together? any other pointers will have to come from the more seasoned quilters my points don't always line up either, but after I pin I do fold back the fabric to see if they are lining up, I hate to pick. so I don't know how much help this was, doesn't seem like much
idunno.gif
SEAM RIPPING!!!!!!!!
barnie.gif
I can live w/ just about any mistake if it means to correct it I have to rip a seam. The Amish intentionally put a mistake in their work to "keep them humble", so by that standard I have the humility of Moses!!!!!!! lol lol lol

I usually don't pin, but have been making an exception for this project, and am ironing after each step.

Oh I love pics too, but don't know if I am brave enough to post pics of my block first. I love the colors and by my standards the piecing is a masterpiece (for me), but...........................................

Been working on sewing up a prototype w/ my colors just to make sure they will work in the block well and ............................................................................ bias sewing, keeping tiny points straight and matching points .............................................. "it's all coming back to me now!!!!!!!"
barnie.gif

So all you vetran or not so vetren quilters tell us what are your secrets to keeping those tiny triangle points going straight under the presser foot w/o pulling bias, especially the back side of the points. The lead points seem much easier to control, but those backside ones are
somad.gif
What really works good is spray starch, sprayed on before cutting.

Well I figured out I wasn't going to have enough of the lighter yellow fabric, so I went to old Wally World (my only fabric store w/I 50 miles of home) and they had a fabric I just couldn't resist, it is a blue background and yellow ducks (cartoon style) swimming in the blue water. Not all my squares will have that fabric but some will.

Thanks for the spray starch suggestion

Last edited:
Yay! Guess what, I'm picking beans and canning over the next two days!! Glad this is due in October. Might work out to be a great Christmas present!!

Yep, I need to make a couple for Christmas gifts, I'm making Christmas ornaments for a swap here on BYC, making extra blocks for my own collection for lap quilts for the gifts and making blocks for our swap, almost done with my BYC commitments. My garden pretty much got washed out this year so I won't be canning much, I have tomatoes just starting to come in. But I was in a seed swap earlier in the season and I'm glad I put those in my planters and other such containers. They are doing wonderful.

Ya'll make me jealous with all the veggie talk:) I've never had a green thumb but last year's 'experiment' planting did grand as soon as I forgot about them. With working this year I just haven't had the time to plant anything until this past weekend. Tomatoes would have been great but we settled for the watermelon, cantaloupes and green beans. Oh yes, and the sunflower seeds given with love on Mother's Day! It's probably too late in the season for us but the seeds were soaked overnight and sprouted within 2 days of planting so the kids got excited. Enjoy the fruits (veggies!) Of your labor;-)

Here is my garden, notice the "giraffe" enclosure ;), to keep the deer out! This is the best mine has ever done. Sorry to hear those that don't have time or Mother Nature has not cooperated.

I have a garden but so far it hasn't done much. Late freezes and monsoon flood for the month of May killed it off. I replanted but it was pretty late considering our horrible hot dry summers. It is now getting near or over 100 w/o any rain, so not sure how much I'll get now, if I can keep everything alive and relatively healthy through the worst of the summer I should get stuff during the fall. That is why I wanted to get the blocks done now during the bad heat, since hopefully I'll be much busier putting food up during the fall.

I was wondering if it is ok to use a blue print for the quilt blocks? Of course, I am going to use yellow also, but I as just wondering!

Thanks,
Hannah in OK

I was wondering if it is ok to use a blue print for the quilt blocks? Of course, I am going to use yellow also, but I as just wondering!

Thanks,
Hannah in OK
I am from OK too, Henryetta just south of Tulsa.

I'm pretty sure I know the answer to your print question, but someone official will come along and answer that officially, I'm sure.

Back
Top Bottom