Fall/Winter Egg Layers

Fl Granny17

Chirping
Nov 12, 2021
I had Rhode Island Red chickens in Texas for 10 and never noticed any variation in egg production. Now I live in north Florida and have Wyandotts, Brahmas, Plymouth Barred Rock and muttens (what I call chickens of either mixed or unknown breed). All my chickens are free range over 20 acres. In October we started seeing a dramatic decline in egg production and also occasional "jelly eggs". Just an FYI if you experience this (cause I freaked!) some breeds slow or discontinue egg production when the daylight shortens. This egg 'slowdown' over the winter months gives your hens time to replenish their bodies of vital nutrients.

Anyway, my question is ... What has everyone experienced? What breeds seem to exhibit this behavior of slowing or stopping egg production in fall and winter? And in what regions (north or south)? Would love to hear particulars of members' locations, breeds and experiences of this occurrence.

Being in the northern part of the country, where daylight gets pretty short in winter (it'll soon be dark by 4:30 PM), all of my layers (other than newly started pullets) completely stop laying in winter. I currently have 10 birds, 8 different breeds, from ages 1 1/2 yrs to 5 1/2 yrs.

Being in the northern part of the country, where daylight gets pretty short in winter (it'll soon be dark by 4:30 PM), all of my layers (other than newly started pullets) completely stop laying in winter. I currently have 10 birds, 8 different breeds, from ages 1 1/2 yrs to 5 1/2 yrs.
Thanks for your info! I had not experienced this before and my husband was searching our 20 acres for hidden egg stashes! I told him the fact that the hens went up in the coop every night meant they weren't laying elsewhere ...

I have 3 Black Australorp hens. BAs are known for "usually" laying through their first winter, but all of mine quit last year to have a partial molt. They have all quit to have a full molt this fall.

I have 2 Jersey Giant pullets that have started laying this month; we'll see if they lay all winter. (That would be awesome!)

I have 3 Black Australorp hens. BAs are known for "usually" laying through their first winter, but all of mine quit last year to have a partial molt. They have all quit to have a full molt this fall.

I have 2 Jersey Giant pullets that have started laying this month; we'll see if they lay all winter. (That would be awesome!)
Would love to have some Jersey Giants also! Can't seem to find them around here (North Florida) Hope they live up to their wonderful reputation for you

Would love to have some Jersey Giants also! Can't seem to find them around here (North Florida) Hope they live up to their wonderful reputation for you
I am also in North Florida and would like jersey giants. I am in Saint Augustine

Hello everyone- Two of my hens just started laying again. They stopped in September when the flock began molting. One is a Buff Orpington (1 1/2 years old) and the other is my Easter Egger (almost 2). The Buff started laying eggs late last January. The Easter Egger laid last year and stopped last September. This is the first year she molted. I live in Western Washington and the weather is between 28-50 degrees. The sun currently rises at 7:50 and sets at 4:22. They’re definitely not getting much light. Is there some reason that they just started laying again? I don’t supplement their coops with light, but they’re fed well and free range most days. Their coops are in a 18x36 greenhouse that has siding so they’re protected from drafts and weather. Not sure what to think, but I thought you all might know.

Back
Top Bottom