falling over chicken

Give your sick birds plenty of electrolytes. Get some pedialyte. The non flavored kind. Mix it in with her water. Also mix with some yogurt and layena in a bowl and give it to them.

I don't think you are hurting them. Most of the time they can take a little heat. My chicks were a few weeks to a few months old and it was 80 degrees farhinheit.
Quote:

I've got my two sickies in my spare bedroom. I gave em apple sauce, yogurt, grower pellets and puppy food. I mixed in it polyvisol x3 drops, vitamin b complex, vitamin E (each 200IU), probiotics, and Nzymes.

Hopefully they get back to normal. My silkie I just brought in today seems weaker than the one I have had in here for a week. She will need extra TLC although I guess they both do.

I really hope its not Mareks.

I guess I will support them as best I can. I have pedilyte I will mix in the water tomorrow.

We will see what happens. It sounds like a few other members are experiancing similar symptoms. Hopefully we will figure this out.

Let me know if there is anything else I can do. I may make a vet appointment this week if they are still going. I'd assume they would be since its already been a whole week with the original one.

I have a pyncheon hen that is acting the same way and has been for a month now. First she had a weeze/cough so I treated her with injectable tylan. She was skin and bones. She is a bit of a picky eater so I cook eggs for her and give her vegggies. She will eat certain things in the chicken scracth from her bowl, but flicks the rest of it out of the dish. Her appetite is good, but she is not gaining any weight, she is alert and tries to walk over to me when she sees me. She is in a clear rubbermaid tub (LG) with a harware cloth cover but is allways sitting on her heels and today when I took her out for her daily excersise session, she just kind of "rolled " over and could not right herself even though she tried like heck. Her wing was wrapped under her and she was stepping on it and just could not get up. It was not for lack of her trying, she just did not have the strenghth. I read about Mareks, and the only symptom I can see she is exhibiting is the weak legs. My other question is this: I have her in the rubbemaid tub, I also have 8 other pairs of bantams in seperate cages in the same room. No one else is showing any signs of illness, so i am assuming this is not something contagious. They have all been in there together since November.

Thought I'd update everyone on the sad ending to my two birds.

I put down the silkie due to respiratory distress to find a necropsy that revealed a spot of focal pneumonia on her left lung and everything else within normal limits.

My silkie mix that has been skin and bones finally developed respiratory distress yesterday evening and so I made the appointment for euthanasia this am.

By the time I got her there, she was very cyanotic and in bad shape.

He necropsied her for me to find she threw a clot in her atrial chamber of her heart which made her go into CHF- congestive heart failure and he thinks this could be secondary to a genetic defect of the heart valve which caused the CHF to begin with.

She therefore had poor circulation and caused her to be sickly and not thriving. He also mentioned that her joints showed she was older than I thought but I told him that I raised her from 2 weeks old and she was in fact 9 months old.

It is difficult to determine why both birds presented with similar symptoms of the leg weakness and paralysis but he said its possible they could have been suffering from two different diseases.
I did mention that both birds came from the same bird woman and that it might be possible that they shared the same silkie roo father or mother and that maybe he/she passed the poor genes onto his offspring. The doc concurred that it is possible.

He also reported that it was highly unlikely that this was an infectious disease so my other birds should probably be ok. However, I will always be on alert due to the fact that I have one other bird that is a silkie mix related to the one I lost and it will always be possible that she could have inherited the same genetic defects.

So, sad ending.
sad.png
BUT, I have closure in knowing that it wasn't related to my animal husbandry. I will most likely get two more birds to add to my flock eventually as I only have 8 left, come Spring.

Thanks to all that followed my story and appreciate the support.

Oh how sad for you.
hugs.gif
I'm sorry you lost your birds.

Just remember you did all you could to help them out and you were humane enough to know when to let them go.

Good luck with your new babies!

Back
Top Bottom