Chicken falling over

Esther1228

Hatching
Nov 21, 2023
I have a year old Wyandotte who keeps falling over. When I stand her back up, she seems to be a little wobbly for the first step, but then fine. She walks around fine, but holds her tail and wings a little lower than usual. Sometime she walks for 5 minutes before falling to the side again. Sometimes it's a few hours. Sometimes it's to the side, sometimes she is just sitting normally. She eats and drinks normally. Her poo seems normal. I have researched different diseases and illnesses but nothing seems to line up with her. She has no external parasites which I can see. Her legs and feet are fine. Her comb is red, probably more of a dark red compared to my other chooks. She's not laying, but also has never been a reliable layer anyway.
I am thinking a vitamin deficiency, but then why are none of my other chooks in the same way? They are all free range. She has been like this for a week, but in saying that, about 3 weeks ago, I found her laying on her back, but seemed fine when I stood her back up.
I have been feeding her vitamin B and E rich foods, banana, peas, spinach, sunflower seeds, pepitas. But I haven't seen any real change in her for the last week. I haven't had a chance to get to a fodder store (I live out of town) to get vitamins for her, but unless anyone has any other ideas, that will be my next move.
Thanks!

What is her diet? Do you have access to vitamins?
For the last week, since I have had her locked away separately, her diet has been banana, peas, spinach, sunflower seeds, pepitas, as well as pellets, just the standard layer pellets. I have given her a few cooked eggs as well.
Before I separated her she was free range, so her diet included bugs and whatever else she found, as well as the same pellets.
I am able to get vitamins tomorrow, but no she hasn't had any supplements yet.

I have a year old Wyandotte who keeps falling over. When I stand her back up, she seems to be a little wobbly for the first step, but then fine. She walks around fine, but holds her tail and wings a little lower than usual. Sometime she walks for 5 minutes before falling to the side again. Sometimes it's a few hours. Sometimes it's to the side, sometimes she is just sitting normally. She eats and drinks normally. Her poo seems normal. I have researched different diseases and illnesses but nothing seems to line up with her. She has no external parasites which I can see. Her legs and feet are fine. Her comb is red, probably more of a dark red compared to my other chooks. She's not laying, but also has never been a reliable layer anyway.
I am thinking a vitamin deficiency, but then why are none of my other chooks in the same way? They are all free range. She has been like this for a week, but in saying that, about 3 weeks ago, I found her laying on her back, but seemed fine when I stood her back up.
I have been feeding her vitamin B and E rich foods, banana, peas, spinach, sunflower seeds, pepitas. But I haven't seen any real change in her for the last week. I haven't had a chance to get to a fodder store (I live out of town) to get vitamins for her, but unless anyone has any other ideas, that will be my next move.
Thanks!

For the last week, since I have had her locked away separately, her diet has been banana, peas, spinach, sunflower seeds, pepitas, as well as pellets, just the standard layer pellets. I have given her a few cooked eggs as well.
Before I separated her she was free range, so her diet included bugs and whatever else she found, as well as the same pellets.
Welcome To BYC

Can you get a video of her? Upload to youtube and provide a link.

Photos of her and her poop may be helpful.

Have you ever dewormed her?

I'd start with giving vitamins to see if those help. 400IU Vitamin E and 1/4tablet B-Complex along with a small amount of egg daily to help with the uptake of E.

See that she's eating her normal nutritionally balanced poultry feed and cut back on the other extras.

Where are you located in the world?

Cut back on all the treats, those should be 10% of her diet or less. I think she's just vitamin deficient and that's easy to fix.

Sorry to read about your hen @Esther1228 . If she is the only one suffering this and she eats the same as the rest of the flock, I think, like you, the cause is unlikely to be related to diet. You could try putting her symptoms in here and follow up on the possible conditions it suggests

https://www.poultrydvm.com/views/symptoms.php

'Gait Incoordinated' might be a good place to start.

Welcome To BYC

Can you get a video of her? Upload to youtube and provide a link.

Photos of her and her poop may be helpful.

Have you ever dewormed her?

I'd start with giving vitamins to see if those help. 400IU Vitamin E and 1/4tablet B-Complex along with a small amount of egg daily to help with the uptake of E.

See that she's eating her normal nutritionally balanced poultry feed and cut back on the other extras.

Where are you located in the world?
Yes she is up to date with worming.
I will get some vitamins in to her today and see how that goes.
I am in Australia - South Australia.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom