Family friendly question?

mom'sfolly :

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say there is no harm in taking your kids to a party where there will be drinking. If you trust the people throwing the party and don't expect drunken debauchery, kids should be okay. This is sort of dependent on the age of the kids, but I think that kids learn by example. If you can go out with friends, have a good time, drink, act responsibly and drive home sober, your kids learn that it can be done.

Plenty of picnics, birthday parties, game days and other events involve drinking. I don't think the drinking is the key issue here. There are issues, though.

If it is a party just for adults, and your kids will be the only ones there, it may not be fair to the kids, the other party goers and the hosts to have the kids there. The host have to find things for the kids to do, the party goers have to match language and behavior to kid appropriate levels and the kids will be bored with no one their age there. I've been in situations with friends who allow their kids to hang out with adults when there are kid activities. These same parents get annoyed when the adult conversation touches on adult topics. If you don't want your young children exposed to adult conversations, maybe they don't belong in the situation.

I would go and bring the kids. Maybe a good opportunity for the kids to learn to entertain themselves when in an adult setting. I think they’ll do better than you expect
thumbsup.gif

I know this sounds negative, but I am going to be honest, I hated being dragged to adult parties when I was a little kid. It was boring, and if the party has adults there who don't know your children well, they may find it irritating that they are there.

That being said, to end on a positive note...you know your kids better than anyone; maybe it could be used as an opportunity to help them learn how to interact around adults. Lots of older kids have never developed an ability to make small talk with older people.

Kids are just that... kids, they have no business with adults at a New Years party where you know there is drinking and most surely some will get slobbering drunk. With no other kids it would be very boring for them. Go with your gut instinct on this take your kids to an all nite event put on by a local youth group where they can mingle with people their own age. Seeing drunk adults is not learning by example, that would be like doing drugs in front of them and telling them "just say no". Preparing your kids for the adult world is your job as you seem fit, listen to your first impressions.

Last edited:
I would skip it, if just for the drive alone.

There are so many drunks on the road, not a good idea to spend 2 hours driving home with them.

Quote:
I agree. I never drink around my daughter, don't feel comfortable drinking around other people's kids, and wouldn't attend a party where I knew children were going to be if I intended to drink that night.

Sorry, but when I want to switch out of "Mommy Mode" I make sure my daughter isn't around.

Thank you for all the feedback. After speaking with my husband today, he spoke with his friend (who is hosting the party)) well turns out, there are some other friends who are having trouble finding sitters, so they are bringing along their kids. So this has all turned out much better than expected. I did deceide before speaking to my husband, that we were not going to go.....But since others are bringing their kids!! WOOT Woot!!
woot.gif

BTw: If i forget.... Happy New YEar!!!!!!
wee.gif

ALways,
Andrea - annie3001

You know, sometimes I think we as a society worry too much about this. I'm 46 and I know it was years ago but my parents would have drinks in front of us and I remember a few parties they had. Or at my Grandma's at Christmas. All the adults had something to drink. It was something the "adults" did and we understood that. Go have fun!

Just saw your post. Good for you two
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom