Family friendly rooster breed???

Danielle85

In the Brooder
Jun 5, 2017
Warsaw, In
We lost my Titan(Rhode Island Red Rooster) two weeks ago :( At first he was extremely aggressive but I forced him to cuddle with me for a week while I was doing chores or something outside. He was my baby and never left my side after that (even ditched the ladies for hours to be next to me) He did not like anyone around me. He even rode on my shoulder and even on top of my head a few times. I just cant have another Rhode Island but I would like a rooster that is friendly but will do his job protecting the ladies. Suggestions?

Well, technically, there is no breed that you can guarantee temperament on. There are aggressive Silkies, aggressive Cochins, sweet RIRs, mean Barred Rocks and sweet Barred Rocks, etc. Some will say, oh, don't get a Barred Rock rooster! Well, you can get one of mine because this line has been bred for temperament. That is a trait that is inherited and passed down. Father, son, grandson and great grandson, all are non human aggressive because that's the way the line has been bred. Same with my late Delaware rooster-all his progeny were easygoing and friendly. BUT, those lines had that trait selected for and culled for.
What you need is a rooster from a line bred for temperament. That is really the only way you can even come close to getting what you want with reasonable certainty. Too bad you aren't closer to me. I'd be happy to supply you with a Barred Rock cockerel that you would probably be very pleased to be around.

I just sold a lady one pf my BR cockerels, and her husband was not thinking he'd grow up large enough. I said if he didn't grow/develop to their liking, I'd give her one for free. I just contacted her to see if she wanted one I have available now, and she said, "Oh, no, Romeo is going to work out just fine! He likes petting, etc...." So, she was bonded to him and happy with his temperament so far. And I bet he'll always be a good boy, if experience with this line is any indicator.

My Brahma rooster is a lovebug, however, he is VERY large and hens need to be large enough for a Brahma.

Very sorry for your loss of Titan.

Well, technically, there is no breed that you can guarantee temperament on. There are aggressive Silkies, aggressive Cochins, sweet RIRs, mean Barred Rocks and sweet Barred Rocks, etc. Some will say, oh, don't get a Barred Rock rooster! Well, you can get one of mine because this line has been bred for temperament. That is a trait that is inherited and passed down. Father, son, grandson and great grandson, all are non human aggressive because that's the way the line has been bred. Same with my late Delaware rooster-all his progeny were easygoing and friendly. BUT, those lines had that trait selected for and culled for.
What you need is a rooster from a line bred for temperament. That is really the only way you can even come close to getting what you want with reasonable certainty. Too bad you aren't closer to me. I'd be happy to supply you with a Barred Rock cockerel that you would probably be very pleased to be around.

I just sold a lady one pf my BR cockerels, and her husband was not thinking he'd grow up large enough. I said if he didn't grow/develop to their liking, I'd give her one for free. I just contacted her to see if she wanted one I have available now, and she said, "Oh, no, Romeo is going to work out just fine! He likes petting, etc...." So, she was bonded to him and happy with his temperament so far. And I bet he'll always be a good boy, if experience with this line is any indicator.

My Brahma rooster is a lovebug, however, he is VERY large and hens need to be large enough for a Brahma.

Very sorry for your loss of Titan.
Thank you. Titan fertilized two eggs and both were killed by my bantams recently, I was soo mad almost had chicken for dinner. I miss my lil protective Titan baby but as corny as it is I got a life size cement statue of him lol. Thank you for all your help, I will keep that in mind.

Thank you. Titan fertilized two eggs and both were killed by my bantams recently, I was soo mad almost had chicken for dinner. I miss my lil protective Titan baby but as corny as it is I got a life size cement statue of him lol. Thank you for all your help, I will keep that in mind.
That is awesome that you got a statue of him! HOW! I want to do that!

Back
Top Bottom