Family pictures.. do we include DS's G/F?

do we include the girlfriend in family pics

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

• other (please explain)

• Total voters
Family friends of ours just did this. They did the siblings, sons, daughters, immediate (siblings and parents) family picture, one with spouses and grandkids family picture, parents, grandkids, then seperate family pictures ( ex: daughter with husband and kids), then one picture of son with finance. (Only one she is was in. None with the family).

Quote:
Yes, multiple groupings. Then if he wants a pic with her, then he can buy it.
smile.png

Quote:
Yes, multiple groupings. Then if he wants a pic with her, then he can buy it.
smile.png

Yup..let him pay for it, if he wants one with her....

Quote:
Agreed. Family photos are a snapshot in time. If she is asked to sit for one pose it will reflect the "family" at this point in time. If they should end up getting married you will have a family photo which includes her.

I said 'other' as well. It's mostly a NO but you could have her sit in on a couple shots if you want too and if it's not going to cost anything extra... and if it's viable, let them have one taken together too.... but don't assume that cost if it's extra, let them buy those themselves as extras.

I also agree with whoever said you can always choose the main family one out of the shots without her in it... I know it sounds a little cold, but I lived with someone before we got married, (though we've since divorced) and I wouldn't have dreamed of getting into a formal family photo at that time. Even AFTER marriage, it's reasonable to have just the mom, dad and actual kids, no spouses let alone girl or boy friends.

Of course, my brother and his SO aren't married, but they've been together so long she'd definitely be included now. (their reasons for not formalizing things are their own!) This isn't a simple thing, but it's your decision not his. Your cash, your choice, but if getting him to the studio means having her in some of the shots, have her come along. ...otherwise this could turn into a power struggle with him being absent.

Oh, and warn the photographer ahead of time!!!!! Just so he/she understands and doesn't try to sweep her into every pic. Trust me, photographers are used to dealing with photo-day crazyness.

I think I'm a bit biased and our family's were very different about our dating lives. His family ADORES me really REALLY adores me, my family likes him lol. When we have holiday time or any kind of family occasion I am always expected and always included so when we started talking about having a family photo taken it was not even a discussion of weather of not I would be included. Of course we were in our mid 20's and had been together for a few years and part time raising his son from his first marriage together so lol the situation might be a bit different. Seeing as how your son is 18 and it's as you say "Puppy love" those of us with more experience know that this relationship has the odds stacked against it's ability to really make it, therefore I tend to lean more in the direction of other, take some of the family and some with the extended family. That way she is not excluded and you have the option of displaying a "family member" only photo in your home.

Back
Top Bottom