Fan Recommendations

Rustic Chicken

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 2, 2010
Does anyone have any recommendations for window fans that will hold up in a coop? We would like to put two fans in to keep air flowing.

I'm no expert on this but I use a regular osculating fan purchased at Dollar General. Home Depot has them right now for under $8. Nothing fancy but sitting flat on a cinder block it works fine & the chickens sit in front of it. They never mess with it. I want another to put at the shed coop house door with it blowing out to pull the heat out.

Hope it helps.

I spent $18 on a window fan (two, 9inch blades I believe) that fits into my small, 19 inch wide coop windows. I bought it at Walmart. I thought about buying two, one for intake, one for outtake, but didn't want to block their roost window - they love looking out that window at night. So I also bought one of the tall oscillating stand-up fans for around $18. I've got them both on a Thermocube that comes on at 78 and goes off at 70.

Boy do we need a fan or something. Today was 102 and tomorrow 100. It's been so hot here, my poor girls are miserable right along with me. We just started building our new bigger coop in all this heat.

Get a small kiddie pool and put about a gallon of ice and equal water...my chicks love it...they get in when they need to cool off and in the shade the water stays fairly cool so even when the ice melts they can at least cool off. I have just 1 box fan tilted down and it seems to be doing a good job. Also, if you build them a little sand box they can get cool by kicking up the sand. I am of course no expert, but I have have all of the above and my pullets and cockerels seem to be weathering the heat pretty well. Good luck!!!

Went and picked up a box fan for the girls. Hope this helps a little, we'll see. They have a huge sandbox already and do use it. I have been spraying the run and sandbox down mid morning each day. They run from the hose, but I get them too hoping it will cool them off a little.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. So happy to know that I can get away with a standard fan from a box store instead of needing to buy something special and expensive!

Back
Top Bottom