**Fancy Rooster Contest!! Ends 2/28/16**

Discussion in 'Online Poultry Show' started by CochinLover1, Jan 30, 2016.

1. Qaib master

Qaib master Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2016
    Arkansas
    Yeah I'm pretty lucky that my landlord is pretty cool and let's me do mostly everything I want as long as I pay rent lol! I didn't spend a whole lot of money on my coop because I built it from used pallets from work. I think every animal has its own particular personality but you just have to spend a lot of time with them to catch their little quirks that make them special. This bird in particular was the dominant one out of the 3 brothers from his brood.

2. Qaib master

Qaib master Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2016
    Arkansas
    Thanks! Thais and Malays come from the same region so It's no surprise that they act similar to each other. I've never owned Malays before but I imagine it wouldn't be much different from Thais

3. GitaBooks

GitaBooks Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jun 23, 2015
    USA
    I hear that gamebirds can be aggressive towards one another but great single pets for people because they were bred to get along with their owners. I think this is cool and wouldn't mind getting one of those huge, 3 ft tall roos some day as a pet.

If I kept it indoors, then if anyone wanted to break into the house they'd be met by that. I'd run for my life if I saw a huge rooster glaring at me. [​IMG] However, today I found out (or was reminded) of why chickens do not do so well indoors. THEY STINK! Yep, they went back out this morning.

4. sdm111

sdm111 Overrun With Chickens

May 21, 2013
    S. louisiana
    If they're worth anything they should be very aggressive to one another. It's what they were bred for. And the proper terminology is gamefowl, gamebirds are hunted for sport such as quail, pheasant, chucker etc.

5. Ballerina Bird

Ballerina Bird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2014
    A friend of mine who keeps chickens once said to me, "I wouldn't want to meet a chicken as big as I am," which I always thought was funny.

6. Rinnley

Rinnley Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2016
    Vancouver Island
    Has he met an emu? My friends daughter was terrified of chickens after an incident at the petting zoo when she was two. She was doling out the layer pellets one per hen to be fair to everyone when one clever hen jumped up and kicked her hand. Pellets went flying, she fell over against a fence and was swarmed when the food fell down all around her, Poor dear. I'm laughing as I write this but they're like eye level with her. If that happened to me with emus today? God I'd never recover. Fortunately she decided she liked chickens again after she saw how our birds keep their distance. I gave her some spaghetti noodles to throw for them, do that if you ever need a good laugh! Now when she eats an egg she wants to know the name of the chicken it came from.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  7. CochinLover1

CochinLover1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2015
    Ohio
    Cute! I did chuckle when I read this.[​IMG]

8. allosaurusrock

allosaurusrock Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2015
    Near Seattle, WA
    This is David Bowie, my new rooster!

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  9. CochinLover1

Aug 17, 2015
    Ohio
    That is one handsome boy! I have to know, how'd he earn his name ?

1 person likes this.
  10. CochinLover1

Aug 17, 2015
    Ohio
    This judging is going to be hard guys!! There are so many good pictures!! Love Love LOVE seeing these handsome boys!!!!!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by