**Fancy Rooster Contest!! Ends 2/28/16**

Discussion in 'Online Poultry Show' started by CochinLover1, Jan 30, 2016.

1. ChickenGrass

ChickenGrass Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2015
    Republic of Ireland
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. Qaib master

Qaib master Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2016
    Arkansas
    These are Thai game fowl. What do you mean by "what are they like?"

3. chicklover 1998

chicklover 1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2015
    Oskaloosa,Ia

4. Qaib master

Feb 7, 2016
    Arkansas
    Oh ok. Well these chickens, like every other chicken, will start picking fights with each other from the age of a couple weeks old until they have established a dominant rooster to rule the yard/coop. The only difference with these chickens are that they were bred more for fighting so their stamina, pain threshold and aggression is way higher than that of the common farm chicken so they will fight to the death if neither one doesn't admit defeat. The best way that I've seen to raise these birds are to separate roosters in different pens when they start molting into their adult plumage if you're planning to show them. other than that, if you have a breeding pair, the hens are usually very protective of her eggs and chicks, the rooster just kind of ignores the chicks for the most part but will occasionally peck them lightly if they interrupt him eating but nothing serious. I hope this answers your question

5. chicklover 1998

Sep 30, 2015
    Oskaloosa,Ia

6. Qaib master

Feb 7, 2016
    Arkansas
    I don't let that stop me though because it keeps me on my toes and the prize at the end is well worth the time and effort invested in it. These photos are in chronological order
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. chicklover 1998

Sep 30, 2015
    Oskaloosa,Ia
    I don't like my chickens fighting each other and don't have the money or space to keep them in separate pens, so mine all have to live with each other and play nice but if I had the money and room I would love to have a couple, they are not only cool looking but I bet they also have some interesting personalities.

8. CochinLover1

CochinLover1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2015
    Ohio
    Very interesting. I have always been intrigued by gamefowl in general, they are pretty and definitely lean more towards the wild side. Thanks for sharing. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. Rinnley

Rinnley Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2016
    Vancouver Island
    When I saw them I thought they looked an awful lot like Malays, sounds like they act very similar as well. Our last clutch was very small, only four chicks and 2 were roosters, maybe it's because we didn't have an adult rooster at the time but the boys didn't start fighting until 4 or 5 months. The half malay rooster was definitely coming out on top until he went to another farm. You have some beautiful birds there!

10. CochinLover1

CochinLover1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2015
    Ohio
    Stunning pictures!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by