Fantail Uncaged??

kajhurley

Songster
9 Years
Jun 18, 2010
Cooper, TX
I have a pair of american fantail that i have let loose to just see what happens. They don't seem to go anywhere, so can i just leave their cage open so they can go in to roost at night?? Just a thought. I know people fly their pigeons and i like to watch them when they are out.

They will probably hang around, but you may be surprised at how rapidly Cooper's hawks show up. This time of year they are constantly on top of my lofts and hanging on my aviaries. I can only fly my birds without significant losses from April or May until September.

we really only have the redtails here. And they don't seem to be a problem. Also does pigeons have to have artificial light to lay eggs and sit them??

Unless you just got them, no they should not fly off. However leaving the loft open day and night is not smart. You may be fine at first but something is going to get it. You may think you don't have Hawk problems now, but wait till they spot a pretty little fantail waddling around the yard.
They do not need any artificial light to breed.
I lost a bird to a Red tail a few weeks ago BTW and these are good flying Pigeons.
[Bathing 40+ birds outside together is not smart].

I hope this post didn't come off mean or rude but I think your attitude is too nonchalant and asking for trouble.

The Birds You Showed Awhile Back I Take It That They Are The Fantails You Want To Let Free Fly. No No No You Will Be Soon Without Fantails They Are To Prone For Attacks Can Not See From Behind And Are Breed Strictly For The Show Pen. Maybe A Pair Of Lesser Show Type Would Be Better I Think Fantails Are A Breed That Are Not Well Suited For Free Flying In Any Type Sitution Period/

Fantail should never be out. Unless you are with them. Flying away is least of your problem.

Take the advice or most here.....keep them penned up.

I have to agree, fantails...either American or Indian shouldn't be left out to free fly or wander around because they will be picked off by predators very quickly. I used to raise them along with Jacobins and Capuchines and I did let them free fly several days a week for excercise and always watched over them like an old mother hen, but no matter how well you think you can watch over them...you can't stop the strike of a hawk who seems to be drawn to them like a shark to blood. So I just had to build large aviaries where they coudl excercise and be protected at the same time. When you start showing and dealing with breeds such as these that can cost a lot whenever you get into really high quality stock, you don't want anything to happen to them and just can't take the risk. There are some other breeds that aren't well met for free flying either.

I believe that is why a lot of folks started breeding the Garden Fantails. They make a better aviary type and free flying bird because eventhough they have the fantail, they are upright like an indian fantail, but not as bulky. They are meant to fly and fan at the same time. They have been breeding them for quite a while and are usually the result of crossing between homers and fantails. You get an upright bird with a fantail that can still fly well and see to get around, but they are still not immune to attack.

As stated above by other fanciers, American Fantails just aren't built to be out much if at all and soon will become prey to almost anything that has a notion to eat them.

Justin
Aquatic Wilds
Night Wolf Lofts

Back
Top Bottom