FANTAILS ON GROUND

JANNIS

Hatching
Jul 18, 2016
Thank you so much for the advise of the pigeons kicking the eggs out of the nest. I think it was just because they are young and didn't build the nest securely as I separated the odd male from the two nesting pigeons and then saw the eggs falling out of the nest again when the female flew out. I have now put something in front to prevent this.
But now I just want to know why the one bird (I think the female whose "foot" was hurt ) is now nesting on the floor of the coop although she walks quite normally when feeding or drinking water. She was sitting on a perch even when the "foot" was sore so can't be that.
Then I also want to know I want to let them start flying freely once it heats up and the snow is past can I just leave the door of the
coop open? Someone said they should be quite hungry before they are let lose to get them to come back? Finally must I have a
"trapdoor" kind of thing for them or just wait in the evenings to close up the cage.

I use dog bowls for nest bowls put shaveings and hay in it. free flying fantails has its down falls fantails are not strong fliers and cats dogs hawks or humans can easily catch them so be pre warned. just open the door and let them out without feeding them shake a feed can or whistle to start learning it feed time when you put them up at night

I have learned through experience where ever a pigeon decides to nest it is best to make the best out the situation and do not try and move them. I use dog bowls for pigeon nests as well in a perfect world. Some times I have pairs nest next to them. When they do I may add pine needles to the area to keep control of the rolling embryos. That being said I never try and move them.

Last edited:
Agree. Just let her nest where she chooses.

As for letting them out there are many options.

In your case be aware that a predator may kill one of both of them when you let them out... the chances are much higher if you just let them come and go as the please and leave the coop door open!

I would get more pigeons, allow them to breed and raise young, and then try to let them free fly, as if a predator kills a few you still have birds left.

If you want to let them fly outside I advise you do the following:

1. Make a small hole for them to go in and out of, and fix a mesh cage over it on the outside.

This is so the birds can go in and out and see their surroundings and get used to what outside looks and sounds like but can not fly away.

After a few days fix up one of the various 'trap doors' to the hole so they get used to using it.

2. Train them to come in through the trap on you call, and feed them. You want them to come back when you call them and go straight into the coop.

Once they are doing this remove the mesh cage and open the door, then let them come out on their own calmly. Don't chase them out!

Once they are out close the door. Don't feed them before you do this so they are hungry.

3. Allow them to have fun and explore. After some time call them back into the coop through the trap and feed them.

Once they are trained like this you can let them out each day when you are there to watch them, then call them back into the coop when you will leave.

Never leave them out when you are not there. Cats, dogs, and other predators would soon get one. Also if you see a hawk you can call them back in quickly.

I would not let breeding birds free, otherwise if they get killed you will have to hand raise the squabs, which is not a fun job.

Back
Top Bottom