Far sited and no depth perception

Alisaviola

In the Brooder
Aug 17, 2019
I have a 2 year old SW that in the last month has develope an issue with her vision. It seems to be getting worst. She is also unbalanced. I noticed when i was feeding her bread she was about 2 inch to the left of the bread in my hand. I checked her for mites and treated her , and dewormed her last August. Did a good inspections and found no mites. She can see afar off, because she will respond to dog or cats when they come around. I am hand feeding her food and water. I am feeding her meat, apple, bread, mango, and fresh oregano and comfrey. I mix her water with Molasses and egg shell powder and with rooster booster and moringa powder. I am feeding her three times a day. The comfrey has a large amount of protein and healthing properties the moringa powder has load of vitamins. I am also putting Castro oil on her eye lids. One thing i also noticed is she is acting broody fluffing her neck feathers up and clucking a lot. One puple has what looks like a tear drop coming from it but other then that her eyes look normal. I keep her in a padded coop because she keeps bumping into the wall. She pecks at her food but Im not sure she is getting any and she doesnt even try to drink. All the other hens are fine. Could this be a head injury or neck injury? Is there anything more I can do for her? Its been about 2 weeks of hand feeding and Im afraid Im spoiling her to depend on me for food, but I don't want her to waste away. Most of the time she keeps her eyes closed even when I'm holding her, like they hurt her. I also checked the best i can for eye worms and didnt see anything.

Attachments

• 20230502_094941.jpg
    20230502_094941.jpg
    360 KB · Views: 31
  • 20230502_094924.jpg
    20230502_094924.jpg
    343 KB · Views: 13
Can you get some close up, in focus, pictures of her eyes?
Where are you, generally, in the world? Knowing that can help with possibilities and suggestions.
Are her droppings normal?

I agree that more pictures of the eyes would help. It could be a sign of ocular Mareks disease if the pupil is not round and seems to be turning grey. Mareks could also affect her balance. I would not use castor oil in the eyes. Terramycin eye ointment or plain Neosporin ointment in the eyes would be okay.

Can you get some close up, in focus, pictures of her eyes?
Where are you, generally, in the world? Knowing that can help with possibilities and suggestions.
Are her droppings normal?
I am in Mississippi and yes her droppings are normal i will try to get a close up but its hard to make her keep her eyes open long enough.

:wee
Maybe another set of hands, or two, someone to hold, someone to hold the eye open, someone to get pictures.
I think her right eye is worst than her left.

Attachments

• 20230503_092423.jpg
    20230503_092423.jpg
    446.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 20230503_092404.jpg
    20230503_092404.jpg
    314.6 KB · Views: 14
That very much could be Marek's disease. I've had birds with eyes that look like that, rather than the completely greyed out iris that many pictures show. The only way to know for sure is to either have her necropsied, or to use a lab that does PCR testing for it with a small blood sample. There is a lab in Texas that does it, I will attach a link to a submittal form, you can contact them with particulars if you are interested in that. There are not a huge amount of labs that do the PCR test. With those eyes and the loss of balance, I would recommend that you do one of those things as it's important to know for the rest of your flock. Those are the only ways to find out. I'm very sorry. :hugs
https://www.vetdna.com/application/forms/aviansubmittalform.pdf

Back
Top Bottom