Farewell My Feathered Friend

Thank you my friends, for your understanding and your compassion. I know this is the one place that I can always count on others who not only know how I feel about my birds, but also share this love of our feathered friends. You here know how special they are, and what immense vacancies they leave behind when they pass. I could not and would not expect anyone who has never had a chicken friend to understand the depth to which the love of these creatures goes.
love.gif

Rita was indeed a special little girl. Quiet and undemanding, she was just as content to sit in your lap as she was to sit along side of you.

Morning was always our time together. While all of her sisters and flock mates were running hither and thither, diving into the feed pans, or making head long dashes to the freshly filled water buckets, quarreling and clucking along, Rita waited for me in her usual place atop the row of nest boxes. There she and I would embark on a daily hour long conversation about all of the goings on of the night before and how things had gone since sunrise. And these were as close to true conversations as a human and a chicken can have. Me asking questions, and Rita responding with quiet little clucks, trills and chirps. No matter how dismal the day may have dawned, that hour with Rita was always a bright spot in my day.

Once finished with our usual morning cleaning, I would bend over for Rita to climb on my back. "Outside or inside today my dear? Which would you prefer?" If I bent down to the floor of the coop and she scrambled up to the high side of my back, then I knew she wanted to go outside. Otherwise, she would simply hop off and proceed to go about the rest of her daily chicken routine. A quick stop at the water bucket, followed by a longer stop at the feed pans. Then off to the corner of the yard for a much loved dust bath.

Throughout the day, Rita would pop by the doorway of the pump house where I keep my computer while we're building our home. She'd often lay down in the doorway and carry on little conversations with me. Or she'd stop by the porch area of the trailer to peer intently through the screen door to see if she could maybe convince anyone inside that now would be a good time for a treat.

The yard will seem so lonely without my sweet little Rita. The morning cleaning will surely become more of a drudgery to be endured than a chance to visit with my friend. Rest in peace my sweetest little friend. You've more than earned your slumber.
hugs.gif

I am so very sorry- and you are right the bond is so precious! Someone sent me this, and i'll pass it on to you and anyone else who needs it..

hugs.gif

Lend Me A Bird

"I will lend to you for a while a bird" God said, for you
to love her while she lives and mourn for her when she's dead.

Maybe for twelve or fourteen years or maybe two or three,
but will you til I call her back, take care of her for me?

She'll bring her charms to gladden you and should her stay be brief,
you'll always have her memories as solace for your grief.

I cannot promise that she'll stay since all from earth return,
but there are lessons taught below, I want this bird to learn.

I've looked the whole world over in search of teachers true,
and from the folds that crowd life's land I have chosen you.

Now will you give her all your love; not think the labor vain;
nor hate me when I come to take my lovely bird again?

I fancied that I heard them say, "Dear Lord, thy will be done,
for all the joys this bird will bring, the risk of grief we'll run."

Will you shelter her with tenderness? Will you love her while you may?
And for the happiness you will know, forever grateful stay?

But should I call her back much sooner than you've planned;
please brave the bitter grief that comes and try to understand.

If by your love you've managed my wishes to achieve,
in memory of her you've loved; be thankful; do not grieve

Cherish every moment of your feathered charge. She filled your home with song of joy
for time she was alive. Let not her passing take from you those memories to enjoy

"I will lend to you a Bird" God said and teach you all you have to do
And when I call her back to heaven, you will know she loved you too

-Author Unknown-​

Robin that is so beautiful. I think I shall print that out and frame it for inside my coop or laminate it for Thor's grave.

i found it helped so much reading it! Sometimes there is one chicken soul that just is so very precious- i lost my Sugar and she was like that, one of the first I had- lost her last spring- and this poem really helped- i am glad to pass it on- they are all so very special!

Robin- I am now a slobbering sobbing mess- that is a beautiful poem, and I will print it out also. What a gift these wonderful birds are-

It's so lonely in the coop this morning. Were it not for my little version of Ivy sitting on the nest to lay her egg, I would have been completely alone for clean up time. She's a very sweet little girl, for all she doesn't like to be handled all that much. But she'll never be a patch on my Rita.

Oh Rita! Do you have any idea of how much I miss your sunny little chatter first thing in the morning? Do you know how lonely I am in the coop, where we once held such riveting conversations? I miss my friend!
hit.gif
Oh, Great Spirit, please help me! I do so truly miss my friend!
hit.gif

Back
Top Bottom