Farm Animal or Pet ?

You can have 100 neighbors that love your chickens and all it takes is one to mess it all up. People are getting stranger by the day. I am in an agriculture land reserve area and have a neighbor that wants me to quit having animals on the property because they don't like FILTHY FARM ANIMALS. I suggested they move at that point.

Quote:
subdivisions are treaky..they can have there own set of rules not related to the city at all..and chickens are livestock as are horses and they have good reason for not allowing them most of the time,you know how some people are,give them a chicken and they bring home a cow..

Oh wow, that was almost the exact resaoning behind the voting down my variance by the town. They told me "next you'll be wanting a goat " of course now I'm researching to see if I can put one in there.
wink.png

-my neighbor who once was ok with it, made the complaint I'm pretty sure. He decided to put his house on the market, but he could have come to me and just asked about removing them. Now he's just got me PO!

WOOHHOOOO
I did what most people on this site had suggested That I did I went to the neighbors and just explained what I was going to do and to my surprise they all thought it was going to be just fine. I am shocked I am going to go ahead with the plans and the coop maybe have chickens by next weekend maybe sooner then that ....

all my neighbors are fine with the chickens being in the back yard. Heck they were ok with the rooster as well, but we rehomed him.

Just because your neighbors are ok with it doesnt mean that the town wont find out and tell you NO CHICKENS anyway.
That is what we are facing right now. But I am going to fight. In my city they truly and honestly have more important things to deal with than a small bunch of pet chickens in a back yard.

My city has a no "farm type animals" law but only specifies pigs and cows. I have applied for a special permit for my chicken. I totally used the "educational purposes" card. We homeschool, so I specified lessons we have had concerning the chicken, I took the chicks to a local Kindergarten class, and have even arranged for a local Girl Scout troop to come over and learn about chickens. AND we looked up the local 4-H poultry club that my kids can join when they are old enough.

The animal control officer in charge of my case has interviewed quite a few of my neighbors and so far everyone has been supportive of having a chicken in the neighborhood.

So good luck to you!

I was told to call my city council person in my ward. I called the office and they gave me the number of the animal control supervisor. He gave me totally different info than the pions in the animal control office did. I found out I can even have goats in St. Paul if I have a permit and 75 percent of my neighbors sign saying its OK. That won't be hard. Go straight to the top and these people can usually help get the answers you need. GOOD LUCK!!!

sandyj

I am sorry you have to make this choice. After my divorce, the kids and I had to live in the city (where rent was more affordable). To make a very long story short, we could not have ANY animals..no cat..no dog..not even a fish tank! (this was due to landlord..not laws.)

Anyways...11 years later here I am in the "farm country" and am so relieved I can have what ever my little heart desires (or my wallet can afford!)

As for my 6 chickens, they have become very loud! Not only when laying an egg, but when they hear us come home or they hear the back door shut. They get all worked up knowing we are coming out to visit them!

I wish you luck. My chickens have done nothing but possitive things within my little family of three humans, two cats and one big baby of a lab!

Rhett&SarahsMom :

all my neighbors are fine with the chickens being in the back yard. Heck they were ok with the rooster as well, but we rehomed him.

Just because your neighbors are ok with it doesnt mean that the town wont find out and tell you NO CHICKENS anyway.
That is what we are facing right now. But I am going to fight. In my city they truly and honestly have more important things to deal with than a small bunch of pet chickens in a back yard.

Trouble here is its not the town, but rules of the subdivision. Would need to get everyone together to change the rules.​

Back
Top Bottom