Farm chatter

This is as close as I could get to riding a cow:
5D3ED688-15C3-4FE0-A823-BBDD615A75D0.jpeg

He wasn’t to intrigued, but I think his attitude that day really matched the attire :lau

Back to halter breaking...

I've halter trained some heifers. Most of them I start training as calves, and then don't continue... I somewhat recently got 2 breaking halters. The breaking halters fit better on an older animal's face than a calf's face.

I've also ridden a couple heifers. One who we sold, and one who is now a milking cow.
I have never heard of a breaking halter, could you explain to me what this is?
Ridding a cow is fun! It's a lot different than ridding a horse I think.

I have never heard of a breaking halter, could you explain to me what this is?
Ridding a cow is fun! It's a lot different than ridding a horse I think.
Riding cows is fun. You just have to watch out when they go down a hill so that you don't slide down their neck! :lau

A breaking halter has a piece of nickel plating so that the halter can easily tighten and release. Whereas a normal halter just keeps getting tighter and tighter as you pull. A breaking halter is kind of like a show halter. It's supposed to get animals used to the feel of a show halter. If you look up 'breaking halter' on google, you can see what I mean by a nickel plate.

Riding cows is fun. You just have to watch out when they go down a hill so that you don't slide down their neck! :lau

A breaking halter has a piece of nickel plating so that the halter can easily tighten and release. Whereas a normal halter just keeps getting tighter and tighter as you pull. A breaking halter is kind of like a show halter. It's supposed to get animals used to the feel of a show halter. If you look up 'breaking halter' on google, you can see what I mean by a nickel plate.
I looked it up and I think I should get one, I should also get some grippy gloves, probably make for less rope burn

My dad wants to get a pig, & clear out an area to put a pig pen. But, he's not willing to let me clear out a spot for another chicken coop. His words: "Where are you gonna put it?"
His intelligence level is like a 3.

He drinks, & smokes alot. We hate it, he doesn't listen.

You may also find it easier to halter train month old calves rather than couple hundred pound animals. What breed(s) of cows do you raise?
The 1,000 pound steer was my 4h project who I got when he was 580 and was wild from the beginning, and never really got what you would call halter broke it was just us dragging each other around. The heifer calf I am halter breaking was about a month old when I started but she is stubborn 🙄
As for the breeds... they are Angus and lowline crosses with some dexter crosses. They sadly aren't mine but I will be buying my first 'cow' in a month or so!

Back
Top Bottom