Farm chatter

Also, @RiverOtter , sorry to bother you, but what order do you normally teach commands in? Most likely not for any kind of competition (possibly just Obedience, depends on how successful I am with training) but just for everyday life.
Oof, might get less lost on another thread! I don't generally follow this monster, lol.

But as far as formal obedience, I start with Sit, as it's the simplest. I use it to teach Down, and then base nearly everything off Down. It becomes my control. Pup isn't doing much else if their chest is pressed to the ground - they're not chasing a squirrel, barking their heads off, etc. It prevents a lot of NO, which I try to use as little as possible. NO means Never EVER do that EVER again, bad-unworthy-dog-who-I-now-barely-tolerate-in-my-presence (for a brutal, eternal 10 minutes) and is reserved for Ultimate Sins, like chicken murder. I do not use it for popping up onto the couch, digging through the laundry basket or other puppy shenanigans.

But functionally, I start with Pup's name, as a positive association. Then Leave It, as I use that the most. As it is a command, and not a reprimand, Pup always gets lots of praise and attention for obeying, same as any command. Next is Off, defined as all 4 paws on the floor. So we get Off the couch, Off the mailman, Off the bed, good dog!! I use the command Kennel for crate training and Pup Kennels for meals. My dogs learn Get Back mostly by watching the older dogs, and it means take 3 steps back, usually from the door, but as I farm, it also means just out of range, but keep an eye on me. For example, Sunni will Get Back out of kicking range or away from the doorway as I am moving calves through the barn, but she doesn't leave, because I might need her.

Also, when I give a command, it is that until I say otherwise, I don't teach a separate Stay. Stay, along with Eh eh (said in a growly tone) is actually a light reprimand here. If I say Down, the dog is to Down until I say otherwise. The release word is Alright or Here. Here means be in my general vicinity and is not the same as a formal Come, which is run to me and sit at my feet. I use Here when I am specifically releasing the dog and want them Here next. Otherwise, if I want them near me, I just use their names, unless they're underfoot already. Which they usually are.

OMG! Someone made this for me!!! :love:love:love

1615159969246.png

View attachment 2559636
99% sure it's like this but idk how to get it
oh i thought she used photoshop 😂
@EmmaRainboe is that what you used?
19 eggs so far.

That cockerel got out again. His sprained ankle is feeling better.
oh hm will he be all right if he keeps coming out? :hmm
Yes, that is why i got mixed up. Does TSC sell them?
ah ok
im not sure
do you mean jubilee orpingtons, or speckled sussex? they might
PP=PFP
Attempts I made to get a good picture of a turquoise egg Beardy laid today.View attachment 2559678View attachment 2559679View attachment 2559680View attachment 2559683
oh gorgeous!
I spy a skipper. 🧐
areyou a skipper?
@human1 your avatar = 😱😱
is it any worse than the others?
OMG! Someone made this for me!!! :love:love:love

View attachment 2560052
aww congratulations!

Back
Top Bottom