Farm Day 2014 Photos (mainly of peafowl)

MinxFox

Crowing
9 Years
Sep 16, 2010
Pensacola, FL
Farm day was great yesterday! I should have walked around to see all of the different booths set up this year, but I just couldn't leave the peafowl pens! So many beautiful peafowl! I saw @AugeredIn there. I was walking down the green peafowl pen row and he was walking down there too so we hung out looking at all the peafowl and talking about peafowl. It was great seeing him there!
---------
Hey AugeredIn, after you left, I found a volunteer and asked him where Josh was. He called Josh on the phone and told me that Josh would be at a little barn for firewood and meet me there. I didn't talk to him long since he was really busy, but he told me that he does have some American Greens still left for sale. He said he only got maybe 2 greens out of the imports. I told him you wanted to talk to him but you had already left so I hope he got up with you are is going to get up with you.
---------
Farm Day is a big, several hour long event held at the Rocking BAB Ranch here in Florida.
Here is their site:
http://rockingbabranch.com/
There are many things to see and do at farm day, but if you are an animal lover, which you probably are if you are on BYC, you will really enjoy yourself. While Rocking BAB is known mainly for raising tons of peafowl and shipping them to all over the world, they also have camels, horses, chickens, mini donkeys, sheep, tortoises, a bunny, and probably more that I can't remember! Recently they have added several ring-tailed lemurs to their farm.

Yesterday was a beautiful cloudless day and there was a large turnout. So without further ado, here are photos that I took at Farm Day:
Here was a guy working with metal. It was a pretty cool setup and my parents went back to talk to him. I was back by the peafowl pens pretty much the whole time so I can't tell you what all the booths had, but it seemed like a lot more than last year.

Eastern Diamondback Rattlesnake! I think this was a booth by the Egland Air Force base. The even had a coral snake out there. Needless to say we didn't look at this booth for long.

They were giving horse rides. The ranch mainly seemed to have paint horses.

Of course, most of the photos I took were of the peafowl! I think Josh moved around some of the greens, so I was a little confused. AugeredIn and I both noticed some new adult breeder peafowl that we don't recall Josh having previously as well so that was exciting. Here are some green peafowl. I can't say for certain the exact subspecies on these, but these I think are American Greens - basically what I learned from AugeredIn, is that American Greens are pure greens, it is just Josh isn't sure what subspecies they are mixed with, so that is why he calls them American Greens. I think another term which resolution uses is Evergreens for green peafowl that are of mixed subspecies.

This was a pretty green peacock. He was molting a lot of his crest feathers, but he was still striking.

I think this hen was with the above male. Note her bright blue wing feathers. She wasn't even in bright sunlight and her wings were already glowing like that.

@Dany12 - Hey Dany, here is the Spalding Pied from last year! I have more photos of him too.

This was a new peacock we saw. I think it is a Spalding Silver Pied? Then that peacock to the right looks like a very high percent Spalding split to white or pied.

More Spalding pieds.

Another pretty green. This peacock might be an import. I say that because of all his colored leg bands. I think the imported greens usually have those colors on their leg.

I don't want to overload one post with photos, so I might keep it to 10 photos per post. Don't worry there are many more photos to come! Please excuse some of the photo quality. The birds were moving a lot from all of the noise and people so I had trouble taking my time to get a good shot. Also, sometimes the photo would look good on the camera screen, then when I got home and put it on my computer, realized some of those good photos were actually blurry photos!

More greens...

The feather picking pair.

A Spalding white peacock with a very orange face.

I have 5 more photos left, and it won't let me upload more right now...I will try a new post...

More greens...

Minxfox i want to thank you for posting these photos , they helped me in making my decision as to where i would be able to purchase pure greens.
I will be making a trip to Florida in May and going to http://rockingbabranch.com to pick up 6 to 8 green babies and some india blue silvers pieds, i am long over due for a vacation and i can not wait to see these beautiful birds.

..6 to 8 green babies! Dang, somebody hit on their lottery numbers!
Na i don't play the lottery, that dollar ticket will feed a few birds in a day, just been selling lots of birds and eggs
wink.png

More photos!
I walked up to one pen and got the green peacock to come up to me. I thought it was the friendly imported Pavo Muticus Muticus from last year that I met, then I realized it wasn't him! Most of the peafowl didn't want to come up to see people. This peacock might be an Imperator...He seems more dark blue than blue-green on the wings.

Here is his wing.

THIS is my favorite peacock! This is the magnificent Pavo Muticus Muticus peacock from Wolfgang. I know that mainly people say green peafowl are flighty, wild, etc, but I just want to say I did not have any India Blue varieties get this close to the fence to me. Also, this green peacock not only came up to the fence, but he pecked at my fingers. He is very friendly and not flighty at all.

Here are some close-ups of the above peacock:

He seems to really like attention. He was like a green peacock version of my tame peacock Peep.
love.gif
Being able to get so close to such a beautiful bird was great. I love all of those pretty colors and how the blue on the wing shines bright in the light. You can tell that the top of the head is colored just like an India Blue's head, but when you are up close in person to see that blue head transitioning into a green scaled neck...It is just amazing! I love these birds so very much!!!

Eventually I will put together a video of all of the peafowl pens so you can better understand the setup, but this is one of the large flight pens. The flight pens mainly hold extra adult birds that need to be sold off. I thought it was funny how this blackshoulder peacock was perched right on the edge pressed up against the netting. I guess he didn't want to be around the other birds.

Each flight pen has several varieties inside. Most of the birds are spalding varieties.

Here is the gem of the pen structure - the metal dish used to help support the netting and the big wrap around roost. AugeredIn said he was planning on making a pen with a dish like that. My dad said we could maybe find something like that as well for the new pen I am STILL working on.

More still...

Also, the flight pens have cable strung out to help hold up the netting as well. Here is another photo of the roost.

Here are all of the peas in their shelter hiding from the public. Several look like green peacocks from a distance, but they might just be Spaldings.

Green peacock

I think this is a young spalding because of the white throat patch.

Tall Spalding peachick.

Chick Barn #1. Lots of peachicks, and a few guinea fowl too.

In Chick Barn #2, I saw this beautiful tall green peachick. I figure it is a young peacock. Josh said he didn't get many offspring from the imported green peafowl this year. I think this peacock is one of the ones from the imports.

This is the ring-tailed lemur pen, which is right next to the other flight pen. For most of the day, the lemurs were inside their elevated box (not in the picture). You can't see the lemurs when they are in the box.

Next to the lemur pen is a shelter for the peafowl in the flight pen.

AugeredIn and I tried to figure out what peafowl in this flight pen might be pure greens. I think the peacock eating out of the hanging feeder is a pure green. Seeing India Blue variety peahens next to greens and spaldings made the hens look very small!

Still more photos coming up...

The above green peacock up close. The peacock behind him is definitely a Spalding.

@Blue Creek Farm - Here is a Hazel peacock.
smile.png
He looks like he has the neck of a midnight and the train of a bronze.

Hazel peahen - Better photos of a hazel hen to come later...

Cameo???

This was sweet...I remember this pair from last year. They seem to really love each other. The Spalding Peach peacock and the Spalding black shoulder hen were preening each other.

Check out her beautiful feathers! If you love the way immature black shoulder peacocks look, you might want to get this kind of bird. She will be pretty like this her whole life.

AugeredIn told me to make sure to get a photo of this peahen on the left...He said that she is a Seiple black shoulder. Note all of the lines on her neck. I have better photos of her coming up soon. The peacock on the right is a charcoal.

Charcoal peacock with several Spalding blackshoulder hens.

Lots more photos still left...

Photos of one of the flight pens.

There are a few pens larger than the breeder pens but smaller than the flight pens that have peafowl. These pens are a little bit out of the way compared to the other pens. I don't think as many people saw the birds in these pens. At first I wasn't sure what kind of birds were in this pen. The smallest peafowl is a spalding, but I think the others are Burmese greens. The Burmese peacock to the right has some huge spurs.

I like the neon yellow on this one's face. The other greens seem to have more of an orange-yellow face, but this peacock's face is very yellow.

Throughout the day I kept watching a Spalding peacock that we figured had accidently gotten out. He was desperate to get into the flight pen. He paced the fence, perched on a tree limb hanging over the pen looking down on it, and he even perched on the cable strung across the top that was holding up the netting. In this photo he was running to the flight pen. He must have been trying to get in some other pens as well. My parents said they spotted him darting through the crowd of people. Maybe he could even be a new free-ranger that is still having trouble coping with not being in a pen anymore.

More of the greens that I think are Burmese...

More photos...

Same greens as in above post...

Spalding peacock. Note how he is a spalding because his neck is blue, his wing has lots of India Blue barring on it, etc.

This shows his neck, which is definitely not green.

The bananas and elephant ears were big this year just like last year!

One of the many peachicks. I saw more peachicks this year than I did last year.

Chickens

Green peacock & India Blue peacock.

Green Peacock.

This is the friendly Pavo Muticus Muticus again...His pen almost always had kids in front of it reaching out and letting him peck them, etc. He didn't mind the kids talking loudly and running around or making quick movements. He was such a calm green peacock.

Here is a pair of some other green peafowl.

Don't worry, photos of other peafowl varieties are to come...

Back
Top Bottom