Seeking Spalding peafowl photos for science!

Thank you for clarifying! Oh and the rest of the clutch varied from fully colored looking, a couple pied variants, and just the one solid white. Phoenix mama was only verbalized to me but my confusion started with her bc there was no proof of anything and many like myself are still understanding the genetics but what does that tell you from a good range of color in this first clutch?!
You will get four different patterns from your two parents, no color mutations. Peas have two chromosomes and give one to each chick. The SP hen will give either a Pied or White gene and daddy will give either one with the White gene or the other without any pattern mutation. So the chicks will either be White, Pied, or split to White or Pied.

Question for the OP, are you wanting just Spalding pics or Spalding in different patterns? Here is a Spalding White and his hens we use to make Spalding Pieds. These hens are Spalding Dark Pieds. The cock is up there but not quite in the high range yet. We use him because of his body type. Every year we sell off the lower percentage and retain the higher to keep increasing the hybrid standard in our breeder stock. Any of our pictures that you use please watermark Spring Creek Peafowl.
IMG_8500.JPG
IMG_8501.JPG

Here is a nice example of a hybrid that is up there in Green blood. Although you can not see it he is split to Black Shoulder. He is being used to create Spalding Black Shoulder Red Buff hens. Notice hybrids do not breed true.View attachment 3592500View attachment 3592502View attachment 3592504View attachment 3592507View attachment 3592511View attachment 3592512View attachment 3592520
I am going to assume the stock standard spalding is what the OP is looking for. Most feral populations don't have the mutation birds in them because predation by dogs and cats selects against mutation spaldings.

I am going to assume the stock standard spalding is what the OP is looking for. Most feral populations don't have the mutation birds in them because predation by dogs and cats selects against mutation spaldings.
I can't imagine what a 'stock standard spalding' could be when there are wide variations of Spaldings ranging from very low to very high. I do not know what the feral populations are in Florida but assume that they are breeding with any type of peafowl they encounter be it a colored/patterned IB or another Spalding also carrying color/patterns.

An example is the Montana IB variation that was discovered in Montana in a feral population. There they had escaped peas that intermixed and produced a previously unknown mutation out on the prairies. I can only assume that if it can happen there with all the predators they have it could happen anywhere.

I can't imagine what a 'stock standard spalding' could be when there are wide variations of Spaldings ranging from very low to very high. I do not know what the feral populations are in Florida but assume that they are breeding with any type of peafowl they encounter be it a colored/patterned IB or another Spalding also carrying color/patterns.

An example is the Montana IB variation that was discovered in Montana in a feral population. There they had escaped peas that intermixed and produced a previously unknown mutation out on the prairies. I can only assume that if it can happen there with all the predators they have it could happen anywhere.
I just mean stock standard as in various percentages of hybrid not showing any mutations.

I heard that story was a total fabrication. I am inclined to believe my source given that many origin stories of mutations have been deliberately obscured or falsified. But that's what happens when it could very well be postulated that a major problem in the hobby today is a drive for money and not giving credit where do.

Back
Top Bottom