Farm Guard dogs?

Well i plan to breed my GP with a Ackbash/anatolian/gp mix because I think I would get a good working farm dog

You'd get a mutt

Why not BUY a Pyr, and not breed a bunch of crossbreed pups?​

Seconding dainerra. You need to wait till she is two, he is two, andpreferably have had health tests, at least ofa.
So, besides the good working farm dog you will keep, what will you do with the other nine pups? Litters of crossbred lgds aren't easy to sell, and rescue has plenty of half grown pups from people who did just what you are planning then they couldn't get rid of them. Why not just go get another dog instead of creating a dozen more?

Lab mix mutts are primo LGDs. I've had three now over the years and all have been exceptional dogs that have never bothered livestock of any kind, never lost an animal in their care and they love their flocks....will alert you to anyone bothering them or anything unusual going on.

australlian cattle dog .. or blue/red healer they are stock dogs .. but are some of the smartest dogs on earth imo and tough as nails .... my healer dots single handedly taken out a possum a coon and a skunk .. alll recently .. shes a better mouser than any cat i know .. shes chased off a pack of dogs ... and they havent been back .. shes fixin to get a fox for me if i catch him out there again ... they can take on yotes .. you deffff want to get it as a pup tho .. not a adult .. these are one person / family dogs ... so if you dont socialize them they wont let anyone you dont tell them to on the property .. but they are awesome farm dogs ..
smile.png

by bull breed, I assume you mean mastiff breeds.

My Cane Corsos, are excellent guard dogs. They are all older dogs since I got the chickens and they don't bother them, and didn't need to be trained not to bother them. But thats my dogs and not to say that all CC would be that way or any other dog breed for that matter. If you're looking for a dog that is a good guard dog, and will stand up to preditors, then you may have to put some effort in to show the dog what is acceptable behavior, and what isn't.

I love my Anatolian/Pyr mutt. He does excellent work

And there are probably hundreds available without breeding more of them

Most any mutt from a pound, regardless of breed could do what the OP wants done​

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom