Farm Innovators 4200 Inconsistent Temps

amaurichick

In the Brooder
Jul 1, 2015
Greenville NY
I am losing my mind, and sleep! I'm at day 17 and in the past few days the temperature keeps going all over the place.

I have not moved the incubator and only open it to candle on days 4, 10 and 14 so far, and to occasionally add a little water. They are supposed to go into lockdown tomorrow.

The temps have gone down as low as 97, and as high as 101.8 for very short times. I turn the temp control so slightly that it's barely moving, and every time i get it to 99.5 and feel relieved, I'll check it an hour later and it's either too high or too low again. For the most part it seems to be going too low more than too high.

I have stuffed pillows all around the bottom of the styrofoam and now have a towel draped around the whole thing, with only the very top (air holes, windows and heat control) visible.

The eggs are mixed, some marans, speckled sussex, silkie, orpingtons. So I know that they may hatch at different times due to different sized eggs. I'm wondering if the lower temps will affect hatch time and if I should wait to put them in lockdown or if it's ok to go ahead as scheduled.

Should I be worried about the bi-polar temps? Has anyone else had this problem with this type of incubator?

I am losing my mind, and sleep! I'm at day 17 and in the past few days the temperature keeps going all over the place.

I have not moved the incubator and only open it to candle on days 4, 10 and 14 so far, and to occasionally add a little water. They are supposed to go into lockdown tomorrow.

The temps have gone down as low as 97, and as high as 101.8 for very short times. I turn the temp control so slightly that it's barely moving, and every time i get it to 99.5 and feel relieved, I'll check it an hour later and it's either too high or too low again. For the most part it seems to be going too low more than too high. 

I have stuffed pillows all around the bottom of the styrofoam and now have a towel draped around the whole thing, with only the very top (air holes, windows and heat control) visible. 

The eggs are mixed, some marans, speckled sussex, silkie, orpingtons. So I know that they may hatch at different times due to different sized eggs. I'm wondering if the lower temps will affect hatch time and if I should wait to put them in lockdown or if it's ok to go ahead as scheduled. 

Should I be worried about the bi-polar temps? Has anyone else had this problem with this type of incubator? 

The FI incubator has very mixed reviews. Half the people have reported the same problems, the other half have good results. So you aren't alone.

The first 2 1/2 years I incubated in an old lg9200 with the fan kit installed. If I could keep the temps above 99.5 and below 101 I was happy. Lol I also lost a lot of sleep during incubation and hated leaving the house for any length of time. I had great hatches, but it was a lot of work. I have the Hovabator now and boy, is it so nice!

The Hovabator is better? I am thinking of upgrading. I do a hatch every spring and I'm tired of the chick drama! :)

I love my Hovabator! It's the only styrofoam incubator I'd recommend. I bought the 1583 because it's cheaper than the 1588, it's the non digital version of the 1588. I run high humidity at hatch time so it's better I don't have a style that the humidity is more prone to mess up. It holds rock steady temps. I run dry most of the time during incubation so the fluctuation of humidity doesn't play with my temps. I actually get to sleep at night, can go run errands and no worries my eggs are going to cook. I go into lockdown tonight in it with 19 silkie eggs. My 5th hatch this spring.

The Hovabator is better? I am thinking of upgrading. I do a hatch every spring and I'm tired of the chick drama! :)
I use a hovabator 1602N with no fan kit or turner and get good results. My house is cold around 60 degrees, so I have to put some blankets on top but it worked really well.

I'm not sure the pillows around the bottom are a good ideal as I know ventilation is important. If your bottom air holes are covered, you need to uncover them... as that is where the fresh air will come from and the hot air will be forced out the top since heat rises... At least that's what I think. But AmyLynn has WAY more experience than me!

Are you sure you are giving enough time after you reset it for it to adjust? I'm guessing if half the reviews as stated say the same thing that probably isn't your issue.

You might also be able to put a water bottle in there to help stabilize the temp... I know many do that from the start to combat possible power outages.

Hope your hatch goes well!
fl.gif

@AmyLynn2374 With your experience can you tell me... we go into lock down and quit turning at day 18. and I know there must be some scientific evidence of that getting the best result or people probably wouldn't do it.... But I'm pretty sure mama hens don't magically stop turning eggs before hatch, do they? Your take on my question?

I use a hovabator 1602N with no fan kit or turner and get good results. My house is cold around 60 degrees, so I have to put some blankets on top but it worked really well.

I'm not sure the pillows around the bottom are a good ideal as I know ventilation is important. If your bottom air holes are covered, you need to uncover them... as that is where the fresh air will come from and the hot air will be forced out the top since heat rises... At least that's what I think. But AmyLynn has WAY more experience than me!

Are you sure you are giving enough time after you reset it for it to adjust? I'm guessing if half the reviews as stated say the same thing that probably isn't your issue.

You might also be able to put a water bottle in there to help stabilize the temp... I know many do that from the start to combat possible power outages.

Hope your hatch goes well! :fl

@AmyLynn2374
 With your experience can you tell me... we go into lock down and quit turning at day 18. and I know there must be some scientific evidence of that getting the best result or people probably wouldn't do it.... But I'm pretty sure mama hens don't magically stop turning eggs before hatch, do they? Your take on my question?

I've also seen people use sterile rocks as heat sinks for the bator.

I stop turning at the end of day 13. The Cobbs development chart states chicks turn to the big end of the egg at day 14 and position themselves head under wing, beak up at day 17. So, my thought is, why turn them when they are trying to position? My thought on the momma hen, and it's only my personal hypothesis, is a hen sitting on her eggs can feel what's going on in there. I would surmise when she feels that turning, she sits still. Animals have many natural instincts we don't understand, I believe the same with hens and their eggs. I think it's counterproductive to turn while they are trying to get positioned. So I don't. It could be coincidence, but I don't get pointed end malpositioned either.

I will say, besides the fact they don't need to be turned, stopping turning at lockdown is essential to hands off hatchers that will not open the incubator after lockdown to even add water. Leaving turners in is highly NOT recommended. So, in order to be hands off, turning is stopped.

I myself position my eggs so the expected point of pip is face up so I can see when it happens. Another thing that couldn't be done if turning commenced.

Thanks! They are in lock down and the temp is 100 and holding steady for now. I am not going to mess with it, although I would like to have it at 99.5! 2 eggs are wiggling.

Back
Top Bottom