Farming and Homesteading Heritage Poultry

Tamara, Thank you! That's a grand story, and it bears the essence of something that resonates clearly with me. This kind of life, for me, is not a hobby; it is, indeed, a life. I often think about this type of living as an art: the poultry and animals, the fruit tress, the gardens of vegetables and flowers; the fire pit, the arbors, the picnicking, the reading--it's a unity far beyond a hobby. I imagine your flock is beautiful to behold. It reads like a romance novel.

I imagine these things are in the eye of the beholder, but I find a realy beauty in looking out on a unified flock.

I was going to Wall Mart with my wife and told her about this thread and I asked her who do you think would be better at rasing chicknes a back yarder or a Homesteader. She thought about it for a few seconds and said I think a Homesteader. The hard core Mother Earth News type. Maybe not totaly non electric and living like the folks did in the 1850s but if they are going to do this route as a life syle vs having a nice home and a fancy chicken coop in the back yard. Just a thought.

I think my success has been a mind set of what the old timers did when they where breeding chickens in the 1930s and 40s. Everything is old fashion in rearing and breeding.

You where saying Don said one out of ten might make a breeder. It may be the same as one in ten of us will make it as a breeder of the fowl. One out of a 100 might be what you would call a master breeder.

I got a phone call from a old judge in Arizona and asked me who has the best R I Red females today. Boy I had to really rack my head. There are only two people and they might all be sold out.

He said the males he has have great type and tails good lenth of body but the females tails are pinched. That is like a wip no tee pee type fully furnished tails was his complaint. They dont look like your old females did when he use to judge them.

So its hard to find good birds even for a judge. I wont give up though I will find him some.

Well keep thinking and brainstorming your thoughts. This should be a good thread.

Here is a question to rack your brain What is a Semi Monitor Chicken House? Who was the inventer of such a building? bob

Last edited:
Haiku, I'm sorry I haven't yet addressed your questions concerning Houdans. All I can tell you is my experience thus far.

First of all, I have to sheepishly admit that I doubt that Alaska and Crested breeds mix. NH and crested breeds was frustrating enough. It mostly has to do with special attention during winter watering, which, if one has a long winter, can really start to get on one's nerves. This, of course, is rather subjective, though; perhaps it would cause you no bother.

As far as sources of stock that currently meets the standard and is, as is, ready for the farm, well, I do not believe that any exist.

As far as colors go, I would not worry about the White Houdans. They are a relatively new development and could be quickly recreated with outcrossing to White Dorkings. I guess I would say that I'm a fairly firm believer in not getting lost in color. Houdans are first and foremost Mottled Houdans, and they are in desperate need of support. Moreover, if anyone is going to do it, it is going to take a heck of a lot of dedication and a strong stomach for breeding heavy and culling ruthlessly.

As far as stock goes, I would probably start with a big shipment from Hoffman Hatchery. Their stock is of good type--much too small--but of good type and prolific layers. I'd probably want to outcross to something with more size. MMCM Houdans are pretty sad--moment of silence--but they are generally bigger than Hoffmans. I might experiment with someoutcrossing over female Dorkings to bring in good size while maintaining type. Yes, I think Houdans are going to be a heck of a project. Patience and single-mindedness will be the bedrock of a successful program.

Hi Bob!

Yes, I think your wife is proabably right, if we're talking about breeding up farm worthy fowl. If one is committed to eating the results of one's breeding, the motivation to pay attention to carcass quality is taken seriously. The mask of bulky feathering loses its luster when the roast is on the table in its birthday suit.

I hope this year will be a year of strong advancement here with our Dorkings. I have to admit that I'm getting a bit sick with chicken envy. From the stock I'm currently working with, I'd like to end up with four trios of stock worthy of entering a show--they don't have to win the show--just be worthy of the show.

On a fun note, a breeder called me up a few months back who works exclusively with Dorkings and has a few pens of whites of which he is proud. He's an "under the radar" type, and I had never heard of him prior. He seems quite dedicated and cheery and is willing to send me a few shipments of eggs. I must admit that I'm excited. I had thought that I had exhausted all sources for stock.

Jeepers, why couldn't I have been drawn to Australorps?!

Quote:
I found some great old architecture here, which shows one.

http://heritagerenewal.org/bowman/chicken.htm

As far as stock goes, I would probably start with a big shipment from Hoffman Hatchery. Their stock is of good type--much too small--but of good type and prolific layers.

I guess I don't understand this. I thought, "type," included size. Am I wrong there?

I do understand the recommendation of sticking to one breed. I may regret my decision to work on three (Delawares, Barred Rocks, and New Hampshires), but I am sure gonna give it my best shot.​

Regarding how many people stick with raising the good birds and commit to learning: I'm sure in all cases it isn't a lack of desire, just simply that life gets in the way. My recent dispersal caused by getting a new job and needing to relocate, for example. Financial difficulties could also be a factor in why so few stick with it, I'm sure many don't realize the financial commitment that goes into it. And there are a host of other reasons that might force one with the best of intentions to sell out and stop breeding. And then, of course, there is a percentage of those that will just realize it's not their true passion.

This makes me wonder, do any of you good breeders ever sell to hatcheries? Hatcheries can be expected to gradually degrade stock, but if they get fresh infusions, maybe even with just extra roos, every couple of years, we'd always have that as a back-up if something were to happen to the main flocks. There's so few, in some breeds, that seems like a fairly likely scenario.

The hatcheries, it turns out, could be kind of like insurance policies.

Quote:
I got my first Anconas over 20 years ago. In 97, I added Dominiques, and in the last two years, Buckeyes. I like to spend at least ten years getting to know a breed, but don't feel compelled to limit myself to one 'signature' breed of chicken anymore than I would limit myself to only one variety of tomato or basil.
wink.png

Quote:
I agree Haiku, and finally had my flock NPIP tested in order to send eggs and birds to a local hatchery.

Back
Top Bottom