Farming and Homesteading Heritage Poultry

I like the integration of different species on my small farm. I believe it is the way it should be. Young Buckeye cockerels follow my cows around picking off horse flies and chasing the bugs. Buckeyes are exceptional foragers. Here young Buckeyes hang with my Dexter Bull:

I was here a few months ago & just wanted to post an update on my goings on with the Belgian Malines, as promised. I have my own thread titled "Belgian Malines Have Arrived!!!" if anyone is interested in following my progress.

There have been some great developments. A new bloodline has been brought in from Europe! I already have interest in my birds from others in Canada who will be starting out with the new bloodline next spring. I am one of the last with Bart's older bloodline. This is fantastic news! Interest is beginning to heat up in the U.S. as well. I believe there will be a few new breeders in the U.S. offering Malines in the next year or so.

Here's some pics!

Above is my biggest cockerel at 9 weeks old. He'll be bred to the pullets below with proper pale legs.

Here is the big guy again with my 7 week old cockerel I hatched on the right.
Many thanks to Bart for all his guidance!

I was butchering this week and the knife broke-- Joseph, I see you use a cleaver. Any other knife that is high quality and holds an edge. Or do all need reg sharpening-- total dunce on that score. THe knives I have now don't use the sharpener I have. ANd the shears seem dull after a few birds-- how does one sharpen those? Or better question-- what is a good brand name and type of tool to buy just for this job??

Here's a link to the shears at Cornerstone Farm website. Cruise their whole site and see the breadth of their offering. This is where we get most of our equipment for slaughter.

Spatchcocking is the whole process. On this thread somewhere is a description of the slaughter aspect. What you're seeing above is the culinary starting point with the birds' spines and all viscera removed. Then you're here:

I start from the front with the clever and cut through the breast bone, I don't remove it. One certainly could filet it out, and after time one would become efficient. I just work my way up it splitting it with the clever. It creates a rough edge, but that doesn't bother us. It might be easier then to remover the breast bone halves if one wanted to.

Thanks for the elaboration! I didn't think of using my cleaver and simply slicing through the breast bone/keel. That looks and sounds a lot easier than ruining a good pair of shears!

Hi Shellz
Good for you on the Belgian Malines!
clap.gif

Show us one processed sometime.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom