Farming and Homesteading Heritage Poultry

A friend, took one of my BR K's and made it the star of his dinner party. I was very nervous, because I haven't cooked one yet, but it was great, with a pork & venison stuffing, assorted root vegetables & peanut soup. A very traditional menu, it was good to have a true heritage bird on the table.

Yay! Sounds like a good job then.

Today I found out my dad finally cooked one of the cockerels I had given him earlier this year. He said that it seemed tougher than storebought chicken and he was surprised at how dark the meat was on the breast and he liked that the breast actually had flavor that normal white meat doesn't have. Said it tasted a lot better than storebought.

OK, I have been doing a lot of reading and I am not sure I am ready to dive full into heavy breeding to SOP yet, however I do LOVE the heritage breeds and truly understand their importance from a historical and genetic perspective. What I want to know is if I cannot (or do not wish to) go into heavy breeding, what CAN I do as an affecianado of the breeds? Breed small scale? Use the breeds for their intended purpose? Use the "rejects" without breeding them? What is the best way to support my chosen breed and the breeders in whose hands the future of the "breed" rests?

My interest in heritage breeds goes back to my interest/ research into history, particularly focused on the Middle Ages, but extending both directions. I love the history of ancient breeds and their impact on the history of humans. I want to be part of saving that history so that future generations can look at a Dorking and know that they are every bit the chicken they were in the Roman period. That to look at a Dorking is seeing the chickens that were there when Pompeii erupted, or that watching a game bird strut itself much like it did on the sailing ships during the age of exploration and know that those antics kept the sailors entertained during their long journeys. This is what we are preserving in my eyes. I stand ready to help but limited on time, effort, and knowledge.....

A couple of suggestions, perhaps? If you don't mind?

1. Focus. Don't be scatter gunned, but focus on a single breed. If your resources and space is limited, don't fragment it further by being scattered in your approach, ie, having two or three breeds. Your contribution would be diluted to virtually nothing.

2. Partner. Partner. Partner. In some cases, just your caring for a dozen to 20 birds, let's say, as a partner in a much larger concern, is a big help to your larger, more experienced partner.

We "work this plan" with several contributors successfully. It works, if the folks involved have the right attitude and make it about the breed, first and last. Yes, it does work, especially with a breed that is in pretty good shape to begin with.

Here's to hoping it works out for you.

Last edited:
OK, I have been doing a lot of reading and I am not sure I am ready to dive full into heavy breeding to SOP yet, however I do LOVE the heritage breeds and truly understand their importance from a historical and genetic perspective. What I want to know is if I cannot (or do not wish to) go into heavy breeding, what CAN I do as an affecianado of the breeds? Breed small scale? Use the breeds for their intended purpose? Use the "rejects" without breeding them? What is the best way to support my chosen breed and the breeders in whose hands the future of the "breed" rests?

My interest in heritage breeds goes back to my interest/ research into history, particularly focused on the Middle Ages, but extending both directions. I love the history of ancient breeds and their impact on the history of humans. I want to be part of saving that history so that future generations can look at a Dorking and know that they are every bit the chicken they were in the Roman period. That to look at a Dorking is seeing the chickens that were there when Pompeii erupted, or that watching a game bird strut itself much like it did on the sailing ships during the age of exploration and know that those antics kept the sailors entertained during their long journeys. This is what we are preserving in my eyes. I stand ready to help but limited on time, effort, and knowledge.....

Then study the breed and find out what it's greatest need will be in 5 years. Talk to the experts in the breed. Get some high quality birds. Start working on that trait now. Successful breeders work for the future needs of the breed. Does your breed need a better keel? Just work on that one thing and hold the line on the other traits. It is very possible for a very small breeder to have a flock known for one valuable trait.
To understand how this can happen it's helpful to understand the interplay between the breeder for fancy and the breeder for utility. There is a wonderful book titled, " The art and science of breeding to type". The breeder for fancy works with a Standard and uses his/her artist's eye to put his/her own "stamp" on breeding as close to it as possible. Often a "fancy" standard bred strain becomes known for an exaggeration of one or more hallmarks in the standard. Maybe it is exceptionally precise color pattern . Or an exceptional quality of head virtues. Perhaps an exceptional quality of station in their birds. ( station is how well the birds carcass sits upon it's legs). Perhaps the width and knit of the feathers is quite superior.
Now the breeder for utility knows that all the parts of a bird work together to make a good utility bird. Sometimes a utility flock can be wanting in one trait or another. Then , often a utility breeder will seek out a fancy breeder whose flock excels in that trait. Knowing that the flock is Standardbred. They will take an appropriate bird from that flock and interweave it into their flock to improve their need.
So you see just working on one trait the breed needs can be a big help to a breed in general. It is something a small breeder can do.
Best,
Karen

The three things I learned is Quality , Quality , Quality - If you start with that from a reputable breeder you save the other important things.
Time , money and headaches- and I'm no expert but learned that quick.
Good luck! its a great Heritage breed.

Thank you!!!

Well, you're already starting in the right direction by choosing one, appropriate breed and maintaining that focus. The next step is acquiring stock worthy of your endeavor unless you already have. there are some good lines of NHs.

Thank you for the encouragement and advice!
We have gotten a couple of shipments of NHs from Meyer; they seem more like a large breeder than a small hatchery, and the chicks we've gotten from them seem hearty and are doing really well here. We want some information on what the breed is "supposed" to be. I know that will encompass different things depending on who you ask. We're not necessarily interested or against showing. I think the best way to put it is that we're interested in breeding to the original intentions of the breed, in benefiting the breed over all, and in having a strong, healthy flock for our family's table.
If you could direct me to some of these good lines, I would greatly appreciate it!

I've got a friend who raises NH - some exceptional ones. He has two distinct lines... one line lays amazingly well, the other is hard to get enough eggs to perpetuate them. Do you research carefully.

Thank you! =)
If you don't mind PM-ing me about this friend, I would like to see what he has.

You have good taste. LOL.

I would recommend not aspiring to anything. Those motivations get lost to the wind at some point anyways.

Get to know the breed would be my advice. Often learning a sense of a breed, and why it has the type that it does gets lost in the enthusiasm. It is surprising how so many overlook this most elementary point.
If you truly admire and love the breed, rather than the idea of it, you will get to know it intimately. A knowledge that is more than a collection of facts.

The typical advice to purchase and use the Standard. Not to neglect the first part, which is your foundation. Memorize the standard for your breed. Get to know other breeds, especially breeds in the same class. Know how they were used, and why one might have an advantage over another in some respect. The breed's type both sets limitations, and enables them. The breeder determines whether or not they realize their potential.

If it is possible. Show your birds. Some may not know your breed as well as you, but you will surround yourself with experienced poultry breeders. Their practical experience and perspective is invaluable. Ask questions that you have been unable to resolve on your own. Other breeders will take you more seriously if you take it seriously.
Gather all you can, including a couple books on breeding poultry. The larger the paradigm, a broader perspective to draw from.

Learn what you can before you even source the birds. It is helpful to know what you are looking for, and why you might prefer one over the other. You could potentially save yourself a lot of time, moving forward. Once you have them. Roll up your sleeves, and go to work. It is one thing to read and talk about it. Another to do it. There are countless internet experts that have no practical experience, and therefore, no practical knowledge. Know who you are talking to. It doesn't mean they have nothing of value to offer. We just have to sift through it. Be careful not to dismiss it too easily. I have rejected ideas to have been convinced by them later.

Facilities before the birds. There is no joy in chasing our tails. Once it starts, it happens fast.

Bob's advice to start small, and slow, was wise. There are disadvantages to being small, but especially initially, there are more advantages. It takes some time to get a feel for them. There are enough NHs now, to pick up on some later if you need to.

Most of all, enjoy the birds. If they were not enjoyable, the rest means nothing. It is a hobby. Poultry people tend to be opinionated. You would think it was a religion at times. We can take it too seriously. It requires some passion to persevere. On the other hand, poultry people tend to be generous and good natured people. Even if it does not seam like it in internet posts, where a lot is not communicated.

Every spring, hope is renewed. It is an enjoyable hobby.

Thank you so much!!!

Finally got my hands on The Call of the Hen by Walter Hogan and intend to actively use this in my culling and breeding decisions this year so I can more accurately pinpoint laying genes and then I'm going to attempt to keep better records of the production, if I can manage it. I'm also going to implement Bob Blosl's penning system in line breeding so I can keep things more straight in my head. This should be an interesting year!

I will! I have a hard time remembering to keep records too, so that will be a challenge. As soon as my proposed breeders for this year come of age, I'll do some of the measurements he describes in his book and I'll post them here. Then I will keep a log of production records as best I can without penning these girls separately or using trap nests and see if those measurements pan out in the long view.

I will! I have a hard time remembering to keep records too, so that will be a challenge. As soon as my proposed breeders for this year come of age, I'll do some of the measurements he describes in his book and I'll post them here. Then I will keep a log of production records as best I can without penning these girls separately or using trap nests and see if those measurements pan out in the long view.

I started by trying to keep formal records and found I didn't follow because of the "formality" lol
So I started keeping a clip board and note binder handy with a pencil and made short dated notes
as i was doing things. Then when time allowed I transferred to a more formal record.
That seemed to work better
Bee its a great undertaking and good luck ..

Back
Top Bottom