Farming and Homesteading Heritage Poultry

Pics
Quote:
Saladin,
The interesting thing is, it isn't really "writers", many of the references are to probate inventories of a household (probably written by a lawyer), and the term is fairly common. I am now wondering how early I can find a reference to "dunghill" with relation to cock fighting (I have heard the term with relation to cokc fighting in the 19th century, but not earlier)... my focus has been 17th-early 19th century and it is a fairly common term from this period when referencing common domestic fowl.

You even find mention of fowl on the dunghill in the Latin. For example, in Aesop's fable about the Cock and the Jewel we have "Dum gallus scalpit in stercurio offendit gemmam" While the cock was scratchin in the dunghill he found a jewel. I imagine that in the days before excess grain the dunghill would have been a primary source of nutrients particularly in the colder seasons. Our birds that free range spend a lot of time on the dunghills during the winter.

Icelandics were know as "pile" chickens in Iceland because they would forage in the manure piles left by other farm animals and/or created by farmers cleaning barns/pens. They are now more widely known as "settlers chickens". I would think the "dunghill" could have gotten their name similiarily.

Quote:
"pile" chickens.... cool, another reference to look for and see how far it goes back. I realize it may be regional to Iceland, but still interesting, just the same. I am loving the knowledge in this thread.
cool.png

Regardless of the century or even the language group, I think you are going to find that Dunghills is a reference to non-Games.

Cockfighting was always known as 'the sport of Kings.' That said, there were/are many in society who practised the sport.

In the States, the most famous cockfighter, Nick Arrington, owned in excess of 100,000 acres and was one of the riches men in America during his day. Other famous cockers include Clergymen, Stockbrokers, Presidents, Judges, and the like.

The Gamecock was held in such high-esteem by society in general that all other chickens were/are Dunghills.

Saladin, I love your passion for games. Moreover, I appreciate the history of the gamefowl immensely. Coupled with the Dorking, both representing different sides of the ancient spectrum, there is so much to discover. Indeed, it is the human history alive in their history that makes them som compelling. I find myself often looking at the standard for Spangled Old English Game LF. If I am ever confronted by any there will be no resisting.

Besides, from a farming perspective, they dress out like a pheasant and have, as is to be expected, well developed breast meat. I enjoyed cooking them up. Indeed, for those who aren't committed to the idea of size, the Old English Game is at least worth consideration as a meat bird. One bird is certainly game for 2 to 4 people, which covers many households bill. Then again, their foraging capacity, coupled with superb mothering ccaapacities, makes them tempting for those with a bent for self-sufficiency or tight purse-strings.

Yellow,

I've never had a chicken that taste as good as a Game. The secret is getting them before they fully mature.

The meat is finely grained, juicy, and TASTE LIKE CHICKEN!

Quote:
Great, now you have me looking at Game fowl..... my wife is gonna kill me!!
wink.png

Their history is very interesting, and I agree with Saladin... I bet that those involved felt anything that wasn't a Game fowl, was a Dunghill. The Etymology of the two is very interesting.

Quote:
Saladin, when you think about dressing out an Old English Game, when do think they're at their best? I know, of course, that this is going to vary by strain, etc..., but when you think about an OEG, what's the age? When I think about Dorkings, it's 24-26 weeks with 2-3 weeks of proper finishing. OEGs?

Quote:
Great, now you have me looking at Game fowl..... my wife is gonna kill me!!
wink.png

Their history is very interesting, and I agree with Saladin... I bet that those involved felt anything that wasn't a Game fowl, was a Dunghill. The Etymology of the two is very interesting.

Thave you read the Chicken Book?

Back
Top Bottom