Fast, easy, recycled nest

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Kajunbanty, Oct 11, 2008.

1. Kajunbanty

Kajunbanty Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    We have several cats so we are always buying cat litter. I thought the empty buckets would make great nest for my bantams. Heres a pic of what I came up with.

[​IMG]

2. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    [​IMG]

3. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

Looks Great. You could also try standing them up with the lid on and cut a hole in the side about 3 or 4 inches up to make it a bit more private for them. I use plastic totes for our girls and they love them. And they like the one I cut a round hole in verses the ones I cut square holes in. Go figure.....

4. johnmayersquare

johnmayersquare Let's Talk About Chicks, Man!

Nov 17, 2007
    Port Orchard, WA
    Nice! Way to go! [​IMG]

5. Jarhead

Jarhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Arkansas
    Nice job! You can use more of those to make gravity feeders too if you wanted.

6. sussexgal

sussexgal Chillin' With My Peeps

Oooh Jarhead! How do you make a gravity feeder from those types of cat litter buckets? Sorry about hijacking the thread Kajunbanty - the good old fashioned ingenuity of folks here at BYC is awesome! Ya'll have the most wonderful ideas.

7. Jessika

Jessika Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Eagle Creek, OR
    Awesome idea! I love "recycled" projects! [​IMG]

8. Jarhead

Jarhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Arkansas
    gravity feeder = easy

For any bucket:
    Save the lid (or make a new one). Put holes in the bucket all around the bottom (about 1" or 2" diameter). Use wood or plastic or brick or whatever to create a small base (bigger that the diameter or width of the bucket) with a lip around the edge (a couple of inches is fine). Put the bucket in the base, fill with feed, put the lid on, call the chickens over for a meal.

Here's a quick sketch up:
    [​IMG]

Hijack is now over [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by