FAST RESPONSE NEEDED: Chickens vs Rain

JulieZ

Songster
9 Years
Feb 5, 2010
Trenton, Florida
My chickens are 7-weeks, in their own coop & it's pouring outside. I opened their shed house just enough for 1 body to get in & out at a time to keep their home from getting soaked. Are they save to be out in it? I went to a "chicken meeting" where a lady was stating "wet chickens equal dead chickens". It's a steady down pour, they've never been in it & from time to time a little thunder will roll.

I'm really worried. Do I keep them cooped up or give them the option?

I'm no expert, but... I'd keep them cooped or somewhere they can stay dry and warm.
We've had a lot of rain lately, and I covered my entire run with plastic to keep the chickens dry, and mine are 2 1/2 years old.

If they have a shelter to get to, they should be fine. Once my birds are old enough to go out, they are out.

As long as to much rain can't get in their coop they will be fine. Ours always goes out in the rain. They always get soaked.
roll.png
Birdbrains.

Well the people around here for the most part let their chickens decide, the heritage farm by me lets his roam about in the snow. I would assume that if they were unhappy in the rain they would go indoors.

big_smile.png

They will be fine.. Its pouring here and my girls are out eating worms.. RAin doesnt even slow mine down .. Now wind my girls hate and will stay in all day...

The rain has become worse so I ran outside. In 2 minutes, I'm soaked to the bone. I put the 4 outside goofing off with the mud back into their shed house & closed the door to a 2 inch crack. Those chicks were soaked as well. Not sure it's worth it to leave them outside. Mama didn't let me play in this kind of rain, I keep my dog inside ... are chickens any different?? Sorry if this is common sense but I really, really do not know which way to go on this.

I think you should also give them a choice, if they get soaked, just make sure their litter keeps dry so no mold can grow and there is adequate heat to assist them in drying.
I used to bath my silkie rooster, he was white and got dirty alot rolling in mud and digging my flower beds, and I used a blowdryer to dry him, but if they are outdoors, use a heat lamp
smile.png

Quote:
I guess it is just a matter of personal choice. Do what you are comfortable doing. My chickens are pets just like our dog. And we treat our dog like one of our kids.

Back
Top Bottom