Fastening hardware cloth

docdubz

Songster
5 Years
Nov 24, 2016
Central Texas
After much searching I lucked out and managed to find about enough hardware cloth in stock (but dear lord it was not cheap) to build a decent sized open air coop. I've noticed that people seem to prefer using screws and washers rather than fence staples. I have two questions: 1) is there a specific type of screw/washer that does better considering there is metal contact/possible corrosion issues? 2) screws/washers seems like it would be fairly expensive, would fence staples with an extra board of wood protecting them from prying claws be just as good as screws/washers?

After much searching I lucked out and managed to find about enough hardware cloth in stock (but dear lord it was not cheap) to build a decent sized open air coop. I've noticed that people seem to prefer using screws and washers rather than fence staples. I have two questions: 1) is there a specific type of screw/washer that does better considering there is metal contact/possible corrosion issues? 2) screws/washers seems like it would be fairly expensive, would fence staples with an extra board of wood protecting them from prying claws be just as good as screws/washers?
Yes, sandwiching the wire between two boards with screws going through the wire is much stronger than washers and screws.

I would use a powerful staple gun, but if you don’t want to, you can sandwich it and/or screw it.

If you want to attach two pieces of hardware cloth or mesh there are these really handy things I found at Bunnings called aviary clips. There’s a little tool and they’re basically little metal bands that you can clip around the wire and it has a really tight and strong hold.

The fence staples I used split the wood.look in the electrical aisle of your hardware store and find cleats for small wire to fit the mesh and short screws

Back
Top Bottom