Sandwiching hardware cloth

johnlusf

Hatching
Jul 5, 2023
Hello all,

Longtime lurker here. I’ve noticed several mentions of sandwiching the hardware cloth with wood, as an alternative to screws and washer or staples. Does anyone have a picture of what that looks like? Do I just grab some scrap wood, place the hardware cloth in between, then screw/nail the scrap wood to the run’s frame? Wouldn’t it look kind of funky or am I imagining it wrong? Does anyone mind posting pictures? Thank you.

John L.

I've got coops with both attractive and not-so-pretty sandwiched hardware cloth. On the nicer ones, the "frame" is made of 1-by-2's, neatly screwed. But even the slapdash ones offer protection for the poultry.

Hello all,

Longtime lurker here. I’ve noticed several mentions of sandwiching the hardware cloth with wood, as an alternative to screws and washer or staples. Does anyone have a picture of what that looks like? Do I just grab some scrap wood, place the hardware cloth in between, then screw/nail the scrap wood to the run’s frame? Wouldn’t it look kind of funky or am I imagining it wrong? Does anyone mind posting pictures? Thank you.

John L.
Usually the HC is stapled on first, so it's smooth and tight.
Then the wood goes over the HC and is screwed on.
Good if the HC is stapled and screwed in the second row of holes.

Back
Top Bottom