Hardware cloth issues

But that gives me an idea, since you have it spread out already on a paved surface.
Spread it out curl down. I put something heavy on the end, then slowly unroll it while I walk on it. Not perfectly flat, but it helps.

The closer to the center of the roll, the worse the curl is. :hmm

I went with modern design and used only verticals at 4ft spacing. Keeping it flatter without waves was a priority of mine for aesthetics.
First I chose to spend $15 more and buy my HC locally at the feed store so I’d know my roll of materials wouldn’t have a big dented section from being banged up at a mail delivery facility. What worked for me to keep it flat was unroll on flat ground and use a 2x4 on loose end and two pieces flanking wherever I was cutting. Measure and mark it with sharpie, then use an angle grinder with cutoff wheel to cut it tight to the edge, to mimic the factory nice edge. Then I back-rolled it the opposite direction to relax the curve from the roll, so it was less likely to want to curl when wielding it around.
Installing it to keep it flat was like stretching canvas to me, you gotta pay attention to the tension you put on it, go slow and switch around to each side instead of fully fastening one whole side before the opposite is under tension. I chose to use pneumatic 1/4” staples because I could semi-adjust the tension by how I stapled - such as across the “+” of the mesh putting different tension because it hits two wire strands. Longer lasting fasteners like lathing screws could be added in addition, I did add some on the edges and seams. Can also cover over the stapled edge with trim to sandwich it. I would not use those short wide staples from a hand staple gun.
You can also paint HC black using a paint roller and the dark color will trick your eyes and make it almost disappear when you look at it. I considered this but decided I like the color of the galvanized metal better for my modern coop aesthetic.

I went with modern design and used only verticals at 4ft spacing. Keeping it flatter without waves was a priority of mine for aesthetics.
First I chose to spend $15 more and buy my HC locally at the feed store so I’d know my roll of materials wouldn’t have a big dented section from being banged up at a mail delivery facility. What worked for me to keep it flat was unroll on flat ground and use a 2x4 on loose end and two pieces flanking wherever I was cutting. Measure and mark it with sharpie, then use an angle grinder with cutoff wheel to cut it tight to the edge, to mimic the factory nice edge. Then I back-rolled it the opposite direction to relax the curve from the roll, so it was less likely to want to curl when wielding it around.
Installing it to keep it flat was like stretching canvas to me, you gotta pay attention to the tension you put on it, go slow and switch around to each side instead of fully fastening one whole side before the opposite is under tension. I chose to use pneumatic 1/4” staples because I could semi-adjust the tension by how I stapled - such as across the “+” of the mesh putting different tension because it hits two wire strands. Longer lasting fasteners like lathing screws could be added in addition, I did add some on the edges and seams. Can also cover over the stapled edge with trim to sandwich it. I would not use those short wide staples from a hand staple gun.
You can also paint HC black using a paint roller and the dark color will trick your eyes and make it almost disappear when you look at it. I considered this but decided I like the color of the galvanized metal better for my modern coop aesthetic.
Would love to see a photo!

Back
Top Bottom