Hardware cloth issues

NicholeT

Chirping
Mar 27, 2023
Rubicon, WI
So we are in the process of building the run and the 1/2 inch hardware cloth does not flatten out at all even with staples. When we roll it out its all wavy and it causing massive issues trying to fasten it tightly to the wood. Is our product defective? This stuff is bad enough to work with but this bubbling issue makes it nearly impossible.
0615231303a.jpg
0615231303.jpg

How you unroll it has everything to do with how smooth the finished product will be. It's very hard to remove wrinkles once they are there. One way that helps is to curl the mesh in a U shape and work the curve back and forth to smooth it out. This will not remove all the wrinkles but helps if you do it both ways several times. Be careful not to go too aggressive and pop the welds of the wire runs.

First off, I'd like to say that I know it's a pain to work with, but it just kind of is what it is. When we do HWC we flatten it out as best we can, then start flush in one corner and work out way up and over rotating (1 screw and washer in the corner, 1 screw and washer on the side, 1 screw and washer on the bottom) just keep going that way and it'll make it a little easier to tighten and get some of the wavy out (you're not going to get all of it out, so if you're anything like me you're going to have to put your OCD in check, lol)

i found that using a stapler first, going horizontal, starting at the top and working your way down, then going across the top vertically with staples (then adding washers last). Doing staples first allows it a bit of shift while you work, so you can reduce the wrinkles when it’s installed, as you go. if that makes sense.

Yeah, it's a total pain and most builds will have that wave in it. Ous definitely do. Over time in the heat, it kind of relaxes, and then how straight it is depends on how awesome the people were at installing it (not us).
But that gives me an idea, since you have it spread out already on a paved surface. If your temps are anything like ours right now in FL, leaving it out flat in the sun for a few days should do a lot to relax it smooth. Worth a try?

How far apart are your posts? If they aren't too far apart, that's better structurally, and as an added bonus it's better for the HWC, too, in terms of the bulges. They won't show as much. The longer the section of HWC, the more it's going to bow and show if it's uneven. So, if you can, space your posts closer together (around 3 feet apart).

How far apart are your posts? If they aren't too far apart, that's better structurally, and as an added bonus it's better for the HWC, too, in terms of the bulges. They won't show as much. The longer the section of HWC, the more it's going to bow and show if it's uneven. So, if you can, space your posts closer together (around 3 feet apart).
Its 3ft HWC so we built the structure based on the size of the cloth- posts 3 ft apart. My hubby is a bit of a perfectionist and creating this run became a nightmare for him. He made me promise never to bring anyone back to see it because he thinks it looks so bad. Its secure and predictor proof which was my only concern but he is livid at how it turned out. We had 3 rolls from the same company and they were all like that. So frustrating. Glad its over with but I don't think we will ever work with that sh*t again. I'll free range fully and roll the dice.

All weldmesh fencing that comes on a roll has this problem ime.
There are a couple of methods that will sort the worst of the bumps out. A lot depends on the strength of your end/corner posts.
Use a mesh fence puller and stretch the mesh is one solution. Not the greatest video but it should give you the idea.

Approach the job like you are sowing a piece of cloth. Stitch/fix from one end to the other leaving thhe mesh rolled only having enough free to cover a small section at a time. The roll is stood vertically and unwound bit by bit in that position.
Use screws and washers rather than staples unless you are a fencer and know how to strain a fence with staple placement.
In the end what matters is how well the fence can withstand an attmpted breach, not what it looks like.

Back
Top Bottom