Fat chicken

Redhotrb

In the Brooder
Jul 14, 2016
Hi. I ended up with a Cornish cross chicken as a pet, not to eat. It grew and grew, ate and ate. It's huge and fat and now it can't walk. Is there any coming back from this? Now that she can't walk she is not eating as much only what we put in front of her. Will she lose weight and recover? Im just hoping someone will have some insight on this thank you. Thank you.

20170928_120545.jpg

Hi. I ended up with a Cornish cross chicken as a pet, not to eat. It grew and grew, ate and ate. It's huge and fat and now it can't walk. Is there any coming back from this? Now that she can't walk she is not eating as much only what we put in front of her. Will she lose weight and recover? Im just hoping someone will have some insight on this thank you. Thank you.
Not sure how different it would be than a Pekin duck, but I had a girl in a similar situation. She had a hurt foot though that really contributed to her quick weight gain too. I changed how much I fed her and let her swim more and she's losing weight and recovering pretty well. I would try to at least help her and give her a chance. Maybe there's some alternate chicken exercises than running?

Not sure how different it would be than a Pekin duck, but I had a girl in a similar situation. She had a hurt foot though that really contributed to her quick weight gain too. I changed how much I fed her and let her swim more and she's losing weight and recovering pretty well. I would try to at least help her and give her a chance. Maybe there's some alternate chicken exercises than running?
Are you familiar with chickens that are bred to grow fast for meat?

Last edited:
She's not fat. She just grew too fast and her bones and joints didn't get enough time to strengthen to support the weight. These birds have an incredibly fast growth rate that must be carefully controlled with limited feed and exercise from a very early age. Once they are at the stage yours is, there is no going back or reversing the weight gain. They grow very large, in a very short span of time. It's their genetics, and you can't undo that. Careful management can help slow the growth rate enough to give the bones a chance to develop enough to support the eventual weight, but that's not going to help this bird. Chalk it up to a learning experience, and either process for the table or euthanize. It's the kindest thing for her.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom