Fat large marge

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by goldeneggtees, Jan 25, 2013.

1. goldeneggtees

goldeneggtees Fluffy Butt Nut

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    Was wondering if anyone else has had this problem. I have a 4 yr old buff orpington hen named large marge. She was always larger than the others, hence her name and has always been top hen.

Over the past few years, she's gotten really fat and has trouble breathing when it's really hot or really cold. The past few days, I've noticed the color of her comb is looking more purplish than red. She doesn't walk far before having to stop and rest. As far as I know, she doesn't have any other symptoms. She hasn't laid an egg since last summer before her latest molt.

Any ideas what might be wrong, anyone else have what seems to be an obese hen? The rest of my flock of 14 are all normal size and weight.

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Hi Howlinggood, nice to hear from you.
    It sounds like Marge has a genetic issue making her larger than her flockmates or she's a HOG when it comes to eating. Purplish comb possibly indicates a blood flow problem. Since she is 4 years old and overweight, trouble breathing, stopping and resting... she might be on her way out due to the excess weight carrying it around ie...eventual heart failure. Same with humans in time.

3. goldeneggtees

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    Thanks Dawg - I forgot your real name! I still post on here but kinda keep to a local thread for us New Yawkers.

Do you think there is anything I can do for Large Marge? I like her a lot and sure wish I could help her. I have 5 left of my original 8 and seriously miss them when they go. Nothing is ever the same when there is one missing. Sure wish I wasn't so attached. [​IMG]

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida

5. goldeneggtees

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    Thanks again, that's an interesting thought about the meds. I'll ask around. Luckily none of us have needed that around here yet. I myself am sad to say I'm heading that way health and weight wise.

My mom might have some.

I got a treadle feeder for the rats but never see large using it. She only eats when the other hens stand on it for her. They have been getting lots of scratch lately which can probably pack the weight on. I've been trying to keep them warm as it's so cold out there.

I've seen her in the summer when there is never scratch fed, breath super heavy but never in the winter before. Poor large! Such a sweetie.

6. goldeneggtees

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    Maybe Large Marge and I should get both our butts over to a weight watchers meeting! [​IMG] Imagine me walking in with a chicken. What would the ladies say?

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    You always crack me up LOLOLOL. I remember the rat coming to you when you actually were calling the chickens...I still get a good a laugh about that hahahaha! I hope Marge lives a long life for you.

8. goldeneggtees

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    Ah, the chicken rat, I remember he/she well!

Thanks for the kind words! Hope things are well on your end.

9. goldeneggtees

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    Hi, just wanted to say Large Marge is doing well now! No more heavy breathing and purple comb. As soon as she started laying eggs again, her condition improved tremendously. I am very happy! She even jumped on my lap yesterday. Hooray for Largie!!!

10. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    That's good news Donna, glad Large Marge is better!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by