Fattening up a dual purpose roo

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by lynnemabry, Jan 21, 2012.

1. lynnemabry

lynnemabry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    Beautiful Lake County
    I hatched a couple of BR beginning of oct. I decided to keep the hen and process the roo. This morning I caught the roo and tossed him in the broody coop to try and fatten him up. Any advice on how to feed him and if he even has a chance of being tender.

All of the other Roos I have processed have been stringy.

2. HHandbasket

HHandbasket The Chickeneer

Ours have also been stringy, but they were between 6 and 8 months old at the time of processing (we waited a little too long). I think everyone tries something a little different... I get a lot of great answers here as well as from folks we talk to in the local feed stores and markets (everybody out here raises SOMETHING). I had one fella tell me that he processes all his DPs at 20 to 24 weeks, depending on the bird, and that he does not free range the DPs he's processing for the last two weeks, keeps them in a small pen area, and feeds them nothing but corn and scratch, no protein for the final two weeks and nothing at all for 12 to 24 hours before processing. He also feeds them (their whole lives) pork maker feed rather than chicken feed. We have started giving the pork maker to our DP birds now & they love it, plus it's like 24% or 26% protein. Good stuff.

We are just getting started as well, so I will join you in waiting for better answers by those that are more experienced.

[​IMG]

3. Erica

Erica Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2010
    Hi lynnemabry,

I would think he shouldn't be tough unless he's been actively jumping hens. That's if I've understood his age correctly (about 16 weeks?).

You can put a rooster in a cage on grass (like a tractor) if you want to soften the meat a little. Limiting exercise will help relax the meat. As long as he can see the hens and isn't stressed it's not a bad thing to do for a week or two.

If I want to fatten cockerels, I always make up a mash of whatever the other birds are getting, using lightly soured skim milk. Oatmeal is a great mash ingredient for fattening.

cheers
    Erica

4. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Lots of old timers used to feed them raw milk starting a couple weeks before slaughter. Don't know if that will have the same effect as soured pasteurized milk or not, but both are a source of protien and fat, so maybe they're equal.

5. lynnemabry

lynnemabry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    Beautiful Lake County
    Today I gave him the last of the fried rice. I like the idea of scratch and mash. I will report how it works.

Thanks for the input.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by