any strategies to fatten up layer roos

below_gravity

Songster
14 Years
Apr 2, 2009
Jutland, New Jersey
Hello, we have raised meat birds; but now I have some Orphington X Layer roos that are coming of age and we're looking to process them. Do you have any strategies for "fattening them up"? They look rather lean. We were considering confining the 3 of 'em to a smaller area (4x5 ft pen) and providing a broiler feed for 4 weeks. Do you think that would make a difference? Right now they are in with our flock free-ranging.
Thank you!

How old are they? It is my understanding that Orpingtons are slower growth. Your crosses have probably gotten that trait. The broiler feed and being confined could help but they will never eat or grow like CX. Corn might help fatten them faster.

@U_Stormcrow , thoughts to OP query?

Will it help? yes. Noticeably/cost effectively? I can't speak to Orps specifically, because I've never raised them. In terms of my own mutts, faster growing than Orps? Its still very hard to justify.

The typical means of fattening up a bird is adding calories and fats - corn. If you look at CX feeding strategy, total crude protein goes down over time as the birds age up, but MKE stays the same or increases, as does the desired fat levels.

Thank you both. I give preference to raising a good eating bird over anything else. They hatched June 20 (so ~3 mo. old). I understand that they won't/don't grow or eat like CX. Just wondering if there's any strategies I can employ for a decent table bird (and not just something for stock).

Orpingtons are considered full grown at 20 - 22 weeks. At 12 weeks they have been putting on skeletal growth and don't have their muscle mass yet. I would let them free range if that is what you have been doing. I wouldn't put them in a smaller area than they are in. Make sure they have enough food and enough protein.

Cornish cross grow double the muscle, that is why they need extra protein.

Because ORPs build skeleton first, then start to bulk, I simply wouldn't consider them table birds. By the time they start to bulk up, the meat is already moved past fryer and broiler and is already firmly in roaster, maybe leaning towards stock, stew, and sausage options. of course, you can harvest earlier, just less yield.

Free ranging (I do this) saves on feed budget. It also increases flavor. However, it does so at the cost of bulk - your birds will be slower to gain mass from the exercise - and will be less tender, because those muscles have been worked. How much less tender? Depends a lot on the conditions under which they free range. A 300# Football player, and a 300# Fantasy Football player likely carry their weight completely differently - and if we were to briefly consider a socially reprehensible meal of "long pig", its easy to guess which player is likely more tender.

Honestly, a "smaller" faster growth bird with less emphasis on bone development for (eventual) huge size may yield similar meat at fryer/broiler ages, while costing less to feed. Of course, the "colored broilers" and (some variety of red) Rangers are all the rage right now in part because they don't have quite the problems of Cx, some are effective in range conditions, and the yield is still impressive at a young age.

Applaud your efforts to find a system that works for you.

Also, the fact they were crossed with a layer, that will most likely hinder the meatiness of your Orpington crosses. So, they will probably never be very meaty.

Back
Top Bottom