Roo or pullet C.C. broiler

wolfinator

Songster
8 Years
Aug 28, 2015
Mountains of Fayette County, WV
Some of you may have read my previous post about a friend's problems involving her broilers.

Well, after my friends mishap with getting her broilers processed, she had a few that weren't and she decided not to since they were doing much better than the others. She ended up giving them to me a few days later, making the several hours drive with them in her car. I'm currently choosing not to process them unless we have to. I can tell 2 are definitely pullets but the 3rd one I'm not sure about. Just in the couple weeks I've had them, they've all lost some weight as I've restricted their food intake to a small handful twice a day. My ducks and the 3 hens that reside with them have accepted them. I have 36 other hens and a rooster in an adjacent pen.

The one I'm inquiring about follows me around in the pen and when they free range. If its a roo, no crowing so far or if a pullet, too early for an egg. They were gotten either on 2/10 or 2/15/23 so they're about 15-17 weeks old (about a week old when bought).

Here's all 3 of them with one of their companion hens.
20230626_185019.jpg

The one in question:
20230626_185221.jpg

This one was about 20 pounds but is around 12-15 pounds now, even tries to run and once tried jumping up on a container where I thought I'd hid the food (I moved it afterwards).

Thanks all!

Some of you may have read my previous post about a friend's problems involving her broilers.

Well, after my friends mishap with getting her broilers processed, she had a few that weren't and she decided not to since they were doing much better than the others. She ended up giving them to me a few days later, making the several hours drive with them in her car. I'm currently choosing not to process them unless we have to. I can tell 2 are definitely pullets but the 3rd one I'm not sure about. Just in the couple weeks I've had them, they've all lost some weight as I've restricted their food intake to a small handful twice a day. My ducks and the 3 hens that reside with them have accepted them. I have 36 other hens and a rooster in an adjacent pen.

The one I'm inquiring about follows me around in the pen and when they free range. If its a roo, no crowing so far or if a pullet, too early for an egg. They were gotten either on 2/10 or 2/15/23 so they're about 15-17 weeks old (about a week old when bought).

Here's all 3 of them with one of their companion hens.View attachment 3556868

The one in question:
View attachment 3556869

This one was about 20 pounds but is around 12-15 pounds now, even tries to run and even tried jumping up on a container where I hid the food (I moved it afterwards).

Thanks all!
Looks pulletish to me, even with the redder comb.

I think you have two pullets and a roo. The single picture is a roo. They can be sweet until puberty hits. And you'll see a size difference between hens and roos - the roos are definitely larger with the same feeding regimine.

Well the mystery was solved earlier today... For about 2 weeks I've been collecting eggs laid on the floor of my broiler/duck coop but haven't been able to catch the owner of the eggs til now. It would seem I have 3 broiler hens, the big one thought to be a rooster laid a decent size elongated egg while I was refilling their water this afternoon. I saw her in the corner and a few moments later, I heard a plop followed by seeing a newly laid egg. She just happens to have large wattles and comb. Now to figure out if she's laying all the eggs I'm finding on the floor or is my 5 yr old golden comet laying after 3 years of no eggs or perhaps it's one of the other 2 broilers. I've actually gotten an egg every day for almost 2 weeks now from them.

Egg laid 8 days ago - broiler???
This egg is a little rounder and smaller than the other one.
20230706_185843.jpg

Broiler in question egg.
20230715_020547.jpg

3 spoiled broilers enjoying being free ranged.
20230711_011347.jpg

Thanks everyone for your input but not a rooster for once.

Well the mystery was solved earlier today... For about 2 weeks I've been collecting eggs laid on the floor of my broiler/duck coop but haven't been able to catch the owner of the eggs til now. It would seem I have 3 broiler hens, the big one thought to be a rooster laid a decent size elongated egg while I was refilling their water this afternoon. I saw her in the corner and a few moments later, I heard a plop followed by seeing a newly laid egg. She just happens to have large wattles and comb. Now to figure out if she's laying all the eggs I'm finding on the floor or is my 5 yr old golden comet laying after 3 years of no eggs or perhaps it's one of the other 2 broilers. I've actually gotten an egg every day for almost 2 weeks now from them.

Egg laid 8 days ago - broiler???
This egg is a little rounder and smaller than the other one.
View attachment 3577355

Broiler in question egg.
View attachment 3577356

3 spoiled broilers enjoying being free ranged.
View attachment 3577354

Thanks everyone for your input but not a rooster for once.
What roosters do you have?
2016 I kept a CX pullet and bred her to a random roo off FB. Most of my flock are out of her sons. Very meaty

What roosters do you have?
2016 I kept a CX pullet and bred her to a random roo off FB. Most of my flock are out of her sons. Very meaty
Ive thought about trying to breed her especially.

I have a splash Brahma, he can be a bit rough at times with the ladies so I don't want him around the broilers for now. He's 16 months old. I worry he would injure her or the other 2. I'm working on reducing the weight so she doesn't develop leg bone or hip issues. One, the smallest has some walking issues, the other one limps a little but were told if we can reduce their weight by 1/3 - 1/2, it will reduce the strain on their bones and joints. Since I know she's now laying, I'm adding oyster shell in their coop. I had a few other hens that would fly over the 7ft divider fence via a coop roof just to lay their eggs in the coop, then meet me at the gate to go back to their pen - smart girls. I've since blocked their route over the fence.

Back
Top Bottom