Faux Fireplace Mantels ideas

EweSheep

Flock Mistress
14 Years
Jan 12, 2007
Land of Lincoln
Anyone that use fireplace mantels as a decoration piece for your walls? Yes I am talking about people that loves the charm and creativity using or recycling fireplace mantelpieces and not having a real firepit but want the warmth and charm of one. I also want to see everyone's ideas or website links for these kind of creativity for my living room. Sure beats having a real fireplace installed in a home that we can not have a real one due to insurance and inside wall.

Anyone got pics of their creations? I know antique mantels are hard to come by but I love the wide wooden ones that I can display my stuff on the shelves. As for the firepit hole, I am not sure what to use but someone suggested a blackboard material.........

Do you mean a rustic style one or more formal? I've had a few in the past, real and otherwise, but at all nothing now.

For the pit area, I suggest bricks, tiles or whatever you use for the surround but recessed as far as possible. Blackened board will look just what it is and let down the whole thing. I would keep everything as real as possible - you will all spend a lot of time looking at it!

Try Google Imaging 'old fireplace mantel' for some ideas.

In my last house in England I wanted an open log burning stove but, for reasons similar to your own, couldn't have one. I built a slate hearth and surround in keeping with the style of the property. On the hearth I set a cast iron stove that was a good imitation of the real thing, even down to logs inside, and underneath it was an electric fan heater. There was even a flickering glow in the fireplace. It looked good and provided some additional heat on cold evenings. It looked something like this:

Awesome!

I like the rustic wooden style fireplaces. Something warm about it. Granted, the marble and stone fireplace mantels are beautiful but they look "cold".

maybe a non functioning ventless fireplaces or broken electric fireplaces might be the thing to look for. AND I can move it around if I want to redecorate my living room!

I have made a faux fireplace at several houses we have lived in, they all start with an electric flame insert, alot like the one posted (just make sure it has venting out the front instead of the back, or leave breathing room out the back)

I once found a good size fiberglass one at a garage sale and truly regret leaving that one when we moved, it looked like real stone.
I love the fireplace in this picture, it is an old wood mantel (on wall like a picture would be hung) and then the birch logs cut to fit around the surround of the electric fireplace.
I also like the second picture idea of using a wine box under the mantel area.
You could put something like this together for around a 100.00 if you watch craigslist for old mantels (not as decorative as pictured, but you get the idea) or make it yourself if you have the skills.

I love doing this because I have to have a fall and Christmas themed mantel in my house to make it feel like the holidays even if I am living in the Arizona desert and it's 70 degrees outside
big_smile.png

(this is off of pinterest, I don't know who to give credit for it but I love it!)

You really should search faux fireplaces on Pinterest.com you will get a ton of ideas.

Last edited:
Mantel Ideas

The easiest and most cost effective way is to buy a pre-fabricated wood mantel or fireolace mantel shelf. Unless you want to spend allot of money on your project. This is your best bet. You can either install a full mantel with legs, or you can install just the shelf. Here are a few examples:

Prefab Wood Mantel Example

Click Here For Details

Wood Mantel Shelf (rustic looking might fit your taste)

Click Here For Details

Electric Fireplace Options

Rather than putting a piece of flat blackboard where your firebox would be. You can easily install an electric firebox inside a prefab wood mantel or under a wood shelf.

Electric Fireplace Installed Outside Wall In A Cabinet Mantel

fireplace_extrordinair_564e_electric_fireplace_cabinet__28614_zoom.jpg

Click Here For Details

Electric Fireplace Installed Into A Wall With Wall Mantel

fireplace_extrordinair_564e_electric_fireplace_traditional__68328_zoom.jpg

There are so many possibilities that the variations and styles on the design you choose are endless. I've been working with mantels and fireplaces for years and still see new and very creative designs every day.

I'm more than happy to share more info and help with design ideas. I also have some great resources for reclaimed wood products. Also, check out houzz.com for design ideas.

Spero Conomikes
Cornerstone Mantels & Fire
Lic. #940415
FIRE Certified Technician #FCT-013
FIRE Certified Fireplace Inspector #FCI-212
888-520-FIRE(3473) - Toll Free
818-904-FIRE(3473) - Direct
855-214-2227 - Toll Free Fax
www.cornerstonemantels.com

Back
Top Bottom