Faverolle's heat tolerance?

artsyrobin

Artful Wings
15 Years
Mar 1, 2009
Muskogee OK
I am adding to my flock, elders are passing away, I decided after some years with chickens for people friendly heat tolerance, live in eastern Oklahoma and heat is a big issue here. So I have read they handle heat and cold, what are your experiences with that, as I am hearing both opinions. I have some on order, along with orloffs.

I brooded a pair of Salmon Favs indoors this spring and moved them outdoors into a hot, humid Iowa summer with no problems at all. We had plenty of 90-degree and higher days, and the girls did fine. I am hoping for the same this winter when Iowa -- the land of too-hot summers and too-cold winters -- shows us what she's got.

Whew that makes me feel better lol I was hearing people in texas saying they lose them to heat, am in Eastern Oklahoma, and we had some triple digits, but usually the 90's - the chicks will go right under a broody and then out in the big coop in the spring :)

I lost both of mine this summer during a heat wave. I was quite fond of them, but I don't think I'll get others for a while because of it.

my faverolles hen went broody in august and successfully hatched out 7 chicks and the heat didnt slow her down for a second / every once in awhile she would be seen walking around with her wings out a little but no more so then my other hens( EE's, american game)

i'm in eastern oklahoma, july was tough here, but i know south was horid
It was. I lost them during the time the temp was over 100 for several days. They were in an open air coop/pen (covered dog run panels), but it was just too much for them unfortunately. I think they would have been fine if it wasn't for the 100+ stretch of days.

I've had Faverolles in my flock for 10 years or more. I've never lost one to heat or cold and we have plenty of both here in Wyoming. I've only had hens but they usually live 5 or 6 years. They are real sweethearts. :love

Back
Top Bottom