Faverolles neck injury? Cocci? Genetics?

BeardedLadyFarm

Songster
10 Years
May 31, 2009
Cobleskill NY
My 2 week old Salmon Faverolles chick has a bent neck as though she's looking at the ground. She can't look up. She's only able to walk backwards, and then thrashes about on occasion.

I found some blood in her stool so I assumed Coccidiosis, so I isolated her, started her on tetracycline (all I have access to), and have been forcing electrolytes, sugar water, and a bit of yogurt. Her strength and balance have improved, she just looks so uncomfortable.

Is this a common symptom for Coccidiosis? Also, I had her in the sun yesterday, and my 10 week BO pullet bit her and took a chunk of fuzz out of her. Could her neck be broken or sprained?

I've also read that Faverolles chicks are delicate and hard to establish. Is this typical of the breed? She has 6 brood mates of various breeds, all of whom are doing well.

Any insight? Will she straighten up?

I don't thinkCoccidia gives them wry neck. Here is an article on cocciciosis. I doubt that you have it, you may have just seen a little bit of something else in the stool. Take a look at the poop page
http://www.chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17568.0

If it was coccidia, you would need amporilium (corid is a brand name) I doubt that tetracycaline would do any good.

Do a search for wry neck and see if the symptoms look like what you have.

I did a search and came up with this from dlunicorn. You may want to pm and see if they can help. Since you said yours was pecked, was it on the head, maybe this is what is going on.

http://dlhunicorn.conforums.com/index.cgi?board=casestudiesemergencies&action=display&num=1160927052

Last edited:
Thanks annek!

The symptoms of my bird perfectly match the crookneck symptoms. I didn't see where she got attacked, but I'm assuming the head is a likely place. I'll go get some vitamin E and selenium right now!

The blood might have been a fluke. I only saw it in one poop. The more recent ones have looked normal, even though she isn't pooping so much since she's not eating much. Since it's been so humid and damp here, I've just been waiting for Cocci to show up (even though they're on medicated feed)

This is my first year with chicks, and this is the only problem from the 13 I've raised.

Fingers crossed, and thanks again.

Things are looking up!

I've been giving vitamin E and Selenium, as well as electrolytes, egg yolk, vitamin B and medicated chick starter by syringe. She has just started eating by herself again, even if her neck isn't entirely straight yet.

I'm hopeful that she'll make it now. I obviously don't want her to die, but I really don't want her to suffer. It seems we're on the mend.

Thanks again. The advice worked.

Back
Top Bottom