Faverolles Thread

they are now 11 months old and should be in laying prime (they were for a while, an egg a day).
Arg!

Have you had the TV or radio on where they could hear it the last few weeks?

Maybe all the attack ads set them off their nests
big_smile.png
They sure had that little girl on UTube stressed out and crying.

Bruce

Ok, so here's what happened....

I went out to feed this morning and stepped into the run. - My roo came at me like a mad man... he's totally lost his mind! I saw him coming out of the corner of my eye and I blocked his attack. He jumped at me 3x before I grabbed hold of him, growling and snarling (to scare him). I pushed him to the ground, kinda rough and held his head down in the dirt (he fought like crazy). I kinda shook him around a little making a lot of noise. Then I grabbed him up real quick and tossed him back in the run. He ran under the coop and hid!

He's about 6 months old. My BF said this last weekend that the roo chased at him....now I know.

What would you do? - And, does anyone have a good replacement they'll part with? I need a back up cockerel anyway....PeeWee thinks he's a pullet, I'm sure of it
lol.png
At 6 months he hasn't crowed or chased a girl
roll.png

Ok, so here's what happened....

I went out to feed this morning and stepped into the run. - My roo came at me like a mad man... he's totally lost his mind! I saw him coming out of the corner of my eye and I blocked his attack. He jumped at me 3x before I grabbed hold of him, growling and snarling (to scare him). I pushed him to the ground, kinda rough and held his head down in the dirt (he fought like crazy). I kinda shook him around a little making a lot of noise. Then I grabbed him up real quick and tossed him back in the run. He ran under the coop and hid!

He's about 6 months old. My BF said this last weekend that the roo chased at him....now I know.

What would you do? - And, does anyone have a good replacement they'll part with? I need a back up cockerel anyway....PeeWee thinks he's a pullet, I'm sure of it
lol.png
At 6 months he hasn't crowed or chased a girl
roll.png
Eat him. I can bring you a couple of options to the Chehalis show if you want...I have a 6 month old cockerel that's got decent size, I don't like his toes, but it's fixable, and I also have a couple extra younger cockerels....

Is there no end to it!? I mean really, I feel like I'm never going to have a breeding flock.....one step forward, two steps back! Ugh!

Cloverleaf, do your boys get along? Can I pen them together for a little while?

Eat him. I can bring you a couple of options to the Chehalis show if you want...I have a 6 month old cockerel that's got decent size, I don't like his toes, but it's fixable, and I also have a couple extra younger cockerels....
Absolutely. The very few that I have had turn out mean only got worse with time. One of those even went for faces, instead of the usual behind the back attack.

The ten cockerels I have now (4 months - 8 months) respect my space, as does the old man.

"the old man." hehehe... Yeah, I had a sneaking suspicion about this guy for a while. He just doesn't seem to want to move away from me when I'm in the area. A couple of times I've seen him look at me and wipe his beak on the ground, like he's daring me to do something....

I wasn't too surprised when BF said he got "attacked" - but sometimes BF likes to joke around with me, so it's hard for me to tell when he's stretching the truth a little...but today was no joke!

I hope so! I know, the color is definitely not salmon, but it blends in really nice with the bark in the other part of the yard. Hope it's a girl!
My first Favs were from both Ideal and Cackle......they were colored the Standard Salmon.....Wonder what happened in the last 6-7 years to have
changed their consistency.....I like the browner/odder tones for yard safety....a nice Salmon-white fluffy bouncing across the yard is just soooo
tempting to the arial predators...( did lose a hatchery hen this fall). On the other hand, not knowing where the color came from, if another breed, can sometimes change the attributes of the Faverolle.

Have you had the TV or radio on where they could hear it the last few weeks?

Maybe all the attack ads set them off their nests  :D They sure had that little girl on UTube stressed out and crying.

Bruce

Ahahaa! That is the funniest thing i've read in a whiile! That's gotta be it :p

Agree, thru the years i have had 2 that have attacked without reason, both EE, both dinner. Never a Faverolle yet, and yes 2-3 boys can live together with
the girls and be ok, especially if a large enough coop space. I have a pair of brothers and a newby that is slowly finding his way, but they do observe
a strict pecking order, ( 9 hens).
My back misc group range together with 5 different roos and my bantam Favs. are 3 roos and 7 hens.

Un-provoked attacking is not normal for Faverolles...

Back
Top Bottom