Faverolles Thread

They are from the same two birds. Their is quite a size difference as well as the feathering is very different from the two of them. I have seen some hatchery "salmon favs" that are quite dark but are pullets still. What would give the two birds such a size and feather difference?
A couple of late thoughts here. Maybe the breeder crossed a bantam blue salmon with LF salmons in the past (to introduce the blue). It's possible some hidden genes are popping up.

Next thought. I have a 3/4 Fav,1/4 Coronation Sussex hen here. A result of some monstrous sized birds, yet she's a bantam. A genetic fluke for sure, but certainly a possibility.

Usually by a week, definitely by 2 weeks. Though if they are hatchery birds it may not be quite as easy.
I had to wait three weeks to reliably sex mine, and found out after the fact that I was wrong about a couple. Hatchery birds are their own thing - they're all over the place with their color.

You'll have to wait until they get their wing feathers at least (all of them, not just the primaries). In some cases you'll need feathers on the chest identify the lighter colored males.

Is the breeder going to help you select chicks?

Last edited:
No, they don't know how to sex. I already have a great rooster, so only need hens. I can't wait that long, because his chicks go FAST especially this group. Thanks for the help =) if I get some, I'll have to update if I did well or not!

No, they don't know how to sex. I already have a great rooster, so only need hens. I can't wait that long, because his chicks go FAST especially this group. Thanks for the help =) if I get some, I'll have to update if I did well or not!
Who are you getting them from? Any pictures of the parent stock?

Back
Top Bottom